Sign in to follow this  

California Easter Weekend at Jawbone

Anyone going out here for the weekend of Easter? I haven't been here since 2002 so this should be fun.......Any suggested places where to camp?

Don't worry- you'll see the little red "closed" posts everywhere. You'll chuckle at the first 30 or 40 of them, then, when you pass by about 75 of 'em, you'll start getting angry. They are a real eyesore, and a sign of the way things are heading.

Have fun, and try not to get too depressed.

And, as stated before- don't let people ride around your camp.

Is it pretty obvious to know its a closed trail?

Not true. If it's not marked open it's closed, and you could be rippin around left here, right there, left here, and next thing you know you missed a closed sign until you run into a ranger or hear the siren behind you. It's easier then one might think.

i usually camp out off ca 14 just shy of the 395 cut off, on trail EP 15... last time i camped there we scored the old post office spot and had a nice place to stay all weekend! =) and as far as trails go, last chance canyon should be open and i think nightmare gulch is closed the first 15 days of each month.. but you can go out to bickel camp and burro schmidt tunnel and the talc mines etc... theres still alot to do out near jawbone.

im actually thinking about going to the jawbone area around may 8th and 9th maybe the 7th too if work gives me that friday off.

Have fun, and try not to get too depressed.

And, as stated before- don't let people ride around your camp.

Come on folks, Its not as bad as described.

Get Friends of Jawbone map

Learn the designated open areas, Jawbone Canyon, Dove Springs, Spanglers

you can ride were you want.

Cal City is a also a great place for the family atmosphere and riding is plentiful

The ACEC and limited use areas Between Jawbone and Dove springs, yes

there are a lot of new closed signs on the trails that were not legal since

1986, people historically rode them any way, There is now pressure to follow

federal laws and manage that area. Plus the cattle ranch has changed ownership.

The new owners are currently honoring the current route system over their property's

They are not inviting people on the trails that were never designated.

If laws are not followed, Private property is not respected and the

outlaws keep promoting riding these non-designated trails, we will

loose the entire area. Period.

As far as Law enforcment presance, Do the math, we did not have the shear

visitor numbers 10-20 years ago as we have now.

If you compare what is being lost in the forest travel management plans

as of recent, I think you will find we are holding our ground pretty good

here in Kern County, even with those ugly signs. (Personally, I dont like them

and I refuse to help install them)

Please honor them, its our decision to keep off those non designated trails

and preserve the many thousands of square miles of opportunity here in Kern

Friends of Jawbone now has a pretty active facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Friends-of-Jawbone/144288610917?ref=ts

Also visit http://www.jawbone.org/foj/index.php

Attend Moose Anderson Days, all agency mangers and political reps are

usually in attendance every year. Its a great opportunity to communicate,

display concerns, and share ideas....maybe even get involved rather than

complain on ThumperTalk 👍

Wayne Nosala

Edit, BTW, If anyone has any questions or comments off line, PM me or call 760-373-7866

Edited by Wayne_Nosala

i usually camp out off ca 14 just shy of the 395 cut off, on trail EP 15... last time i camped there we scored the old post office spot and had a nice place to stay all weekend! =) and as far as trails go, last chance canyon should be open and i think nightmare gulch is closed the first 15 days of each month.. but you can go out to bickel camp and burro schmidt tunnel and the talc mines etc... theres still alot to do out near jawbone.

im actually thinking about going to the jawbone area around may 8th and 9th maybe the 7th too if work gives me that friday off.

Nightmare Gulch is closed to all traffic (foot or motorized) Feb 1st - June 30th for some Raptor nesting:banghead:. Otherwords, as you stated, it is open to motorized traffic the 15th - 31 the rest of the time

Nightmare Gulch is closed to all traffic (foot or motorized) Feb 1st - June 30th for some Raptor nesting:banghead:. Otherwords, as you stated, it is open to motorized traffic the 15th - 31 the rest of the time

well frick! and i had plans to take my xr down that trail =/ i took my jeep down it with no problems but on a dirt bike its a little different =/

oh well maybe later in the 150 degree summer i'll go down nightmare gulch:foul:

I have been to jawbone a couple times and vowed never to ride that area again. There are no trails! Only stupid hill climbs....I would not even bother going to jawbone. Esp. when spangler hills is so close and you can ride whatever and wherever you want. Sorry for the neg. note just not worth going to. Oh and I can guarantee you there will be people camping within 20 feet of you and riding around camp and thats it, not actually out in the desert riding. 🤣👍

i think nightmare gulch is closed the first 15 days of each month.. .

It is closed to motor vehicles the 1st half of the month but is closed to all human entry Feb 1st to July 1st. Read your Friends of Jawbone map.

If laws are not followed, Private property is not respected and the

outlaws keep promoting riding these non-designated trails, we will

loose the entire area. Period.

Yeah, those ******* outlaws!@!%#@$!!!!

If I ever catch one of them out on the trail, I'll be sure to give em a piece of my mind. How they could singlehandedly take down the entire OHV situation I don't know, but I'm sick of them trying to wreck everything for the rest of us. Who do they think they are?

They are worse than the worst congresswoman/congressman. They are worse than the entire team of CBD's lawyers put together. They are worse than the BLM and USFS anti-OHV nazi's combined. They are even worse than the head of the Sierra Club.

Their selfish mentality has sealed the fate of the U S of A and each and every trail that used to be rideable in it. How they pulled off that clandestine dastardly dead right under our noses is unconscionable.

I'm just sick of it. So ******* sick of it that I think I'll join the FOJ and help them put in a bunch of those NO OHV signs to teach those lawbreakers a lesson. 🤣

Long live the law abiding Sheeple of America. Ugh, I mean US Citizens. Help support OHV cleanliness and your OHV organization of choice. 👍

• Like 1

Update......My friends want to park/camp over near the big giant white pipe line just south of jawbone canyon road....Isn't this kinda far from some of the good trails? Gim'me some input, or where would be a better spot to camp that is easy to find.

Thanks

Update......My friends want to park/camp over near the big giant white pipe line just south of jawbone canyon road....Isn't this kinda far from some of the good trails? Gim'me some input, or where would be a better spot to camp that is easy to find.

Thanks

I usually park near there, except typically on the north side of the road. You can get to some good trails from there unless you have a mini gas tank.

I can see what some of you were saying about trails being closed off 👍🤣 but we did find some fun stuff.

Riding was awsome....Weather was great during the day a little chilly at times. Very cold and windy at night, but overall had a good time. Be going back again soon

Here are a few photos, wish i could have got more

These two watched camp

IMG_2735-1.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2750.jpg

IMG_2751.jpg

They found my tractor

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2762-1.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

Took a wrong turn, he ended up driving out lol

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

• Like 1

Great Pic's, looks like you had fun. Man, two pictures after you found your tractor looks like it was taken from the top of Mt. Everest. Way the F!@# up there!!!!

Haha the pic of your dogs is classic!

One looks all happy go lucky....and the other has a look on it's face like "hey point that thing somewhere else!"

hahaha!!

yeah a couple of those pics we were pretty high up from out camp, it was crazy riding on some of the ledges of those hills...I think my GPS said we were at about 4200 feet? but idont remember....

....the Lab on the right is mine he's 3 1/2 and the other is my moms dog, she is 10 months, i had to dog sit that weekend