Has anyone ported there Head?

i started porting and polishing one of my spare heads and was just looking for some ideas, tips, tricks...

i know eddie does heads, but he keeps that stuff secret which i completely understand. I'm just looking for ideas from other people who have done similar.

so i only started porting/polished the exhaust side, i have 4 good quality, different shape, aluminum porting bits that i bought a while back to do my car head, so it went pretty easy. i started sanding it, but its not fully polished yet, but i don't think i will ever get it as shiny as i see on these websites though, can you say bling! as of now the exhaust side still feels super smooth with out full polishing.

i wasn't sure how thin i should go on the divider though, but i did take it down quite a bit, anyone have input on this?

i was looking at porting pics online and came across a pic. and they ported pretty deep right under the valve guide/bowl area, i can't find the pic now but is there enough meat around the valve guides to port it on a drz head? i wish i knew the thickness of certain areas, for the most part i can tell how thick the walls are, but not there in that area. i cleaned up the bowls a little but didn't get crazy.

on the intake side, it doesn't seem like there is much room for improvement, the wall thickness is already pretty thin, other than removing the casting mark and working the bowl a little, and a polish. though i am not sure if polishing the intake side will help or not. i have done my turbo cars head and i was told to leave the intake side stock, i guess it helps the atomization of the fuel when entering the head and it could really screw up the flow. would that theory apply to a carb'd & NA motor or should i just polish it?

started with this:

SSPX0477.jpg

-

-

-

ended up with this so far:

SSPX0479.jpg

SSPX0482.jpg

SSPX0484.jpg

SSPX0485.jpg

SSPX0488.jpg

on a side note i wonder how this will affect my jetting, i also just ordered a cylinder works BB kit

tips-

no polishing.

the ex port is already too big stock.

the major gains are in the intake port.

to make significant gains requires +1mm intake valves.

my suggestion to smooth out what you have done and stop there.

as it it right now you have it flowing worse than stock with the velocity slowed.

not bagging you,just trying to keep you from doing something you will regret.

tips-

no polishing.

the ex port is already too big stock.

the major gains are in the intake port.

wow that is the exact opposite of what i was thinking!

this is exactly why i started this thread.

i'm assuming its all in the intake bowls, and maybe take down the divider a little.

how thin can the walls go, without getting weak?

here is the exhaust port on my cars turbo head that i gasket matched and polished a little. And the bits i bought! i have a set for aluminum and steel, i also bought a neway Valve cutter, with a 31 & 46 degree cutter with a bunch of different size guides

SSPX0340.jpg

SSPX0338.jpg

SSPX0011.jpg

Heads are not ported (successfully) by just going at them with a porting tool. There are guys that spend a lot of time on a flow bench determining exactly where to cut and where not to cut.

What you think you know and what is truth are two different things.

And I'm not baggin on ya either.

ok,im trying to help you but i can see im not getting thru.

good luck,hope it works out for you.

I was waiting for that comment🤣 some people just dont take on things on board owe well another scrap head head due for the paper weight collection. 👍

Eddie's got a good point ,so is Iowa.

It's really easy to screw up a cylinder top, and get a worse result than you had when you started.

I would take Eddies adwise , as he knows these engines very well (Probably better than anyone else).

I also think it was nice by Eddie to sheare a bit of his secrets

IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_5132.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

Here's what mine looked like post porting if all you're looking for is a reference to play around with your spare head.

BTW...I am not disagreeing with what others have said. It should also be worth noting that I do not regret doing it, but I had it sent out to an engine builder out in Jersey....Not something I would want to do myself.

Rob

Edited by RToth
muffed up

Eddie's got a good point ,so is Iowa.

It's really easy to screw up a cylinder top, and get a worse result than you had when you started.

I would take Eddies adwise , as he knows these engines very well (Probably better than anyone else).

I also think it was nice by Eddie to sheare a bit of his secrets

I agree...... I must say I was very surprised......👍:thumbsup:

Erling