Sign in to follow this  

2009 wrf450 or 2008 crf450x

I'm looking at getting back into riding and I've found a 2009 WRF450 for $5999 and a 2008 450x for $5400. To go and get the Honda it will cost me about $250.00. I am wanting opinions on these two bikes. In 2008 had Honda fixed the valve issues I've read about. Both bikes are new. TIA

Edited by wild-billwjs
adding info

Both of these were on my list. My opinion is the Honda has quicker handling, if not a bit twitchy, I think they put a steering stabilizer on it in 09? The yamaha has a reputation for being robust and the ability to make it what you want. Based on the kickstand, I would go for the yammi... which I did.🤣

The're both great bikes.👍

I ride with a group of guys that are die hard Honda riders. It's a good mix of 250/450R's and 250/450X's. They told me to buy a 250x when I was looking. I found a great deal on a new 08 wr450 ($4599=$5000 OTD). Since then all the guys on the 250/450X's want a WR! The biggest reason is the valves. Not sure how the new Honda's are as they are on 05, 06, 07's. The other reason is they love how smooth and managable the power is on my WR. At one point I was considering trying to trade for a WR250 and all the guys wanted to buy my bike if I sold it.

Just thought Id share my experience. Buy what you want as Im sure you would be happy with either bike. For me, I love the WR! I didnt really care for my friends 450X but he has it set up for him. The Honda feels more motocross than my WR. It's just too much of everything...power is abrupt, suspension is stiff, and handles much different than mine. It feels like it handles very high. My WR's power is much smoother and feels more natural to me. My friend loves the power delivery of my bike over his 450x. Just to add too...a few have bought a WR and love them. The others are wanting a WR for their next bike.

Good luck with either bike.

I bought a WR450 12/31/06, and have had to shim a total of 2 valves, once. My Brother bought a 450X 3/3/07, and he has had to do a complete valve job twice, and just shimmed that problem valve for the second time, so another valve job is right around the corner. I've got about 6000 miles on mine, and he's about 1000 under me. So the choice is yours, but if you pick red, I hope your a good mechanic.

• Like 1

my '03 wr450 has bees great. i ride alot of woods on the east coast and like it alot. power is great as well as handling and suspension. my only draw back is the wieght. rode alot of other bikes that feel much lighter. not near the power mind you just easier and lighter to ride in the woods.

I have ridden the Honda and thought it was a great bike. The valve issues u r talking about are largely overrated. The valve problems were mainly on older (04-05) 250fs, and on bikes that the riders never checked he valves. As long as u do ur regular matenece the valves will not be a problem.

I'm looking at getting back into riding and I've found a 2009 WRF450 for $5999 and a 2008 450x for $5400. To go and get the Honda it will cost me about $250.00. I am wanting opinions on these two bikes. In 2008 had Honda fixed the valve issues I've read about. Both bikes are new. TIA

A couple months ago I narrowed my search down to the same two bikes. I had already owned CRFs and wasn’t that concerned with valve issues. I had ridden the WR and liked it but only ridden the X on the street. The bikes were so similar that it was a toss-up.

I planned on buying the WR because their reputation for being reliable, but I could not find anyone that was willing to come down on the price. The ’08 Honda was $5,350 OTD so it made the decision easy.

I’m not disappointed in any way.