Bike Suggestions

1. Provide your height, weight and skill level

6', 250lbs have had a couple street bikes and done a few track days. Had a CR250 for a couple years but still consider myself a dirt noob.

2. Specify your price range if that's a limiting factor

under 3k

3. Describe the terrain types & conditions the bike will be ridden in

80% MX and probably 20% woods, maybe a few harescrambles a year

4. If you're changing bikes, what did you have previously and what do you want the new bike to do differently?

I didn't like the on/off power of the cr250. I'd like to get a 4t for the forgiving power band. I think I'm too much of a noob for a 450, and would just put put around a track if i were to get one.

For hare scrambles I like electric start. I would be looking at the Yamaha WR 250F, the Honda CRF 250X, the Husquvarna TE 250 or 310, or a KTM 250 EXC-F. I have a Husky TE 510, and I can tell you from experience, those big bore bikes sometimes ride you more than vise versa. At your level, run a 250 four stroke. You will need to beef the suspension some for your weight, but you will progress way better on a 250 than a 450/510 at this point.

A 250F might not be enough motor for your weight, expecially for MX. The e-start trail bikes will require lots of suspension mods to work okay for you on the track.

I second the 06+ YZ450F suggested by the previous poster. These bikes have relatively gentle, controlable power (for a 450 MX bike). The stock corked-up muffler on the 08 and09 might be particularly advantageous for you, but any 06 and later is smooth compared to other 450s. The WR450 is smoother yet, but very heavy and has very soft suspension.

06+ YZ450 - you will love it.

See you at 3-Palms

3 palms gets me excited

A 250F might not be enough motor for your weight, expecially for MX. The e-start trail bikes will require lots of suspension mods to work okay for you on the track.

I second the 06+ YZ450F suggested by the previous poster. These bikes have relatively gentle, controlable power (for a 450 MX bike). The stock corked-up muffler on the 08 and09 might be particularly advantageous for you, but any 06 and later is smooth compared to other 450s. The WR450 is smoother yet, but very heavy and has very soft suspension.

thanks I will look into it.