Sign in to follow this  

4th and 5th gear

i rode my 2000 cr 250 for about 2 hours today, and towards the end of the day 4th and 5th gear would just bog and not accelerate hard even though 1-3 hit hard and crisp. it had a slight unnoticable problem in the beginning of the ride, but by the end it was pretty bad.

whats up with it?

11oz flywheel, plug, gas? i have no idea. this is my first 2 stroke, and i've only had it for 3 days.

Replace the air filter and change the trans oil. Might as well clean the carb while your at it.

i cleaned the air filter and spark plug (which was wet and fouled) and today it wouldn't crank, it would just start and sputter out for 2 seconds, this is turning me away from 2 strokes.

No need to get all dramatic about it. Just like any used bike, 4t or 2t, may require some tweaking and work to get things right.

Do you have a manual? If not, I would suggest this be the first thing you get. You may need to clean and/or adjust the powervalve. If you are fouling plugs often, you need to adjust your jetting, it sounds really rich. Maybe check for air leaks in and around the air boot.

When was the last time the top end was rebuilt?

it was rebuilt about 25 hours ago, it came with a sevice manual but no owners manual. i just thought it was weird because it ran perfect for about 2 hours of riding, now it wont start. ill look into the power valves if i figure it out

i cleaned the air filter and spark plug (which was wet and fouled) and today it wouldn't crank, it would just start and sputter out for 2 seconds, this is turning me away from 2 strokes.

Yeah sounds like it's running rich. First clean your carb and check the size of the jets. Then put in a new plug. Most def buy a manual ASAP. And yeah chilax man, everything needs maintenance. And generally speaking if it starts running like crap you probably don't wanna keep riding for another 2 hours...

How did you clean the air filter? What type of oil did you put on it? What pipe are you running? Sounds like the jetting is too fat!

it has a fmf fatty on it with the factory silencer, the air filter is fine, i've been doing air filters for a while. ima mess with the carb, give it a good cleaning.

and recommendations on adjustments i should do for the carb?

or is 32:1 too rich or a premix?

Don't change the mix ratio, that won't fix anything. Most likely you have a jetting issue.

Keep in mind this jetting recommendation from FMF is based off of 0-1500' elevation and moderate temps around 70*. You really need to get a manual, because it also has a chart in it for adjusting your jetting for different temps and elevations.

http://www.fmfracing.com/TechSupport/JettingCenter

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/90159454-honda-cr-250-r-service-manual-2000-2001

dude, you guys are so much help, as soon as i get a good free afternoon ima do some of yalls suggestions.

i just tested the spark, not spark!

unhooked the killswitch and started it in 2 kicks.

braaaaaaaaaaambrambrambram

i just have to stall it to stop the engine now haha