Sign in to follow this  

Double head gaskets?????

Took the head off my crf450r and noticed it has 2 gaskets instead of 1, anybody ever heard of this or why someone would have done this??👍

pretty sure its supposed to be like that. the base gasket is a single one, and the head gasket is 2 gaskets that are held together by a clip sort of thing. I dont know why, but it is.

and technically, I dont think its 2 gaskets.. its just one gasket that has 2 layers to it, and theyre both metal. they are squish gaskets so dont plan on reusing them either just in case you didnt know.

It is not very likely that it is two.....the area closest to the bore should be one solid piece,all the surrounded will be two piece

It is basically 2 pieces "spot welded" ( i think) in 4 places.

no its not spot welded... at least the last 4 sets off my 05 arent, the bottom gasket has little tabs that are folded and bent over the first one on all 4 sides, or maybe its only 3 sides? but yeah, it keeps it from moving apart, separating, or coming out of alignment with the other one.

but either way, yes theres 2 layers, but its 1 gasket.

no its not spot welded... at least the last 4 sets off my 05 arent, the bottom gasket has little tabs that are folded and bent over the first one on all 4 sides, or maybe its only 3 sides? but yeah, it keeps it from moving apart, separating, or coming out of alignment with the other one.

but either way, yes there's 2 layers, but its 1 gasket.

Yeah the 09's must be different as they are spot welded or punched together only in 2 spots across from one an other.

I just put a new je in mine and purchased a cometic kit and the head gasket is actually 3 pieces held together with 2 rivets which clear the head and jug when assembled. Only problem is the damn back rivet in the gasket did not clear by 1mm and had to be removed.👍

A lot of high performance engines including diesels are using multilayer steel shim type head gaskets. They went away from using fiber composites with fire rings due to the damage the fire rings would cause to the aluminum surfaces. The constant moving of the head was litterally tearing the fire ring apart and gouging out the soft surface of the aluminum.