Sign in to follow this  

Broken Bearing in Oil!!!

I just purchased an '06 450 XC with very low hours. Took it out on Saturday and everything seemed fine. Took it for a lap around the neighborhood tonight to heat it up for an oil change, again, everything seemed fine, but when I pulled the drain plug my heart sank. The magnet pulled out a small chuck of bearing race and several tiny bearings! I continued with the oil change and was able to fish out the rest of the bearing race from the long screen hole. The bearing race is about 5/8" diameter and the bearing are tiny (probably about a 1/32"). I found 8 balls, which doesn't look like enough to go around the inside of the race so I'm sure they are still more floating around in there.

Does anyone know where this bearing may have came from? I am assuming I'll need to tear down the whole engine, hopefully it is repairable. I waited a long time to get a KTM, and now this happens! I have not yet called the guy I bought it from, I would like to find out more what I'm dealing with before I do. Any advice would be appreciated!

sounds like the bearing on the shifter linkage under the clutch. Updated in '07 to a solid roller. Pull the cover and check it out. Don't know how many balls in that bearing.

Yeah - it´s definitely something from the gear box side since you found it by the long screen/on the drain plug magnet. Do as Burn suggested and pull the cover before you tear into the gear box . Probably not needed...

It was the bearing on the spring loaded shifter indent arm (manual calls it a locking lever). The bearing is part of the arm and there is a superceding part number for it, so hopefully that is the updated bearing. Now my problem is finding all the bearings. Only 8 came out on the oil plug, and if I line them around the bearing race they make it a little over half way around, so I'm assuming there are still 6 or 7 more left in there. None came out when I pulled the clutch cover. The parts only $10 so I will order two and take one apart to count the bearings. Any ideas on how to find them? I really don't want to have to crack the case open!