Sign in to follow this  

Hand problems

every time i ride motocross my hands seem to be the weakest link. i have been riding moto for a long time and i just can't seem to find a remedy. during about the 3rd or 4th practice session about 3 laps in i get a feeling in my hands similar to what i imagine arthritis feels like. my joints stiffen up and i cant move my fingers out to grab the clutch or brake. also my hands blister a lot easier than they should and i have calouses the size of texas from weightlifting and riding harescrambles. (my hands are the weekest link during harescrambles too).

i broke down and ordered some oury grips cuz i was told they were larger in diameter. i am starting to think the reason is because i have big hands (i can palm a mens basketball pretty easily). but then again, it might just be the way i ride.. any pointers??

Relax and practice actually wiggling your fingers on the bars when you're not gripping tightly.

I'm really tall too and a new set of taller bars set farther forward really helped me. Then my wrists were less jacked at hard angles.

ive got a set of hi bars on order also, hoping thats going to help get my elbows up and in a better position. this is a new bike, but it happened on my yz125 also

i have the same problem. i get blisters on the side of my thumb and all over the palm of my hand. my fingers get really stiff and i cant grab the clutch or brake..i wish i had a solution for my problem.

A big thing is to relax more with your hands and arms and really grip the tank or shrouds more with your knees. That will take a lot of strain off your hands and arms. And also while you are in the air relax those hands. Like if your hands are getting really crampped and your comfortable in the air take one off and shake it before landing. Just some pointers for you.

A big thing is to relax more with your hands and arms and really grip the tank or shrouds more with your knees. That will take a lot of strain off your hands and arms. And also while you are in the air relax those hands. Like if your hands are getting really crampped and your comfortable in the air take one off and shake it before landing. Just some pointers for you.

i guess i have never worn knee pads before.. i have some on order though, maybe that will make it a little easier to grip the tank

This is what I was thinking also. Grip with your knees. I used to get arm pump real bad and my hands would cramp up. If I don't focus on relaxing the arms and gripping with the knees it still happens, my hands worse than my forearms now. It doesn't sound like a strength issue as much as it is a style issue. If your hands are the size of a catchers mit, that might exaggerate the problem also.

I also have hand problems. I just switched grips and it seems has made a big difference. I also take a daily asprin. (for the gettin old stuff) That also seems to help.

I also have hand problems. I just switched grips and it seems has made a big difference. I also take a daily asprin. (for the gettin old stuff) That also seems to help.

yeah i got some oury grips, and i am really hoping those will help, but i will also try takin some advil half way through a ride too, that should help with my fingers gettin so sore

i used to have the same problem after i'd been ridin for like 2-3 hours my hands started hurting real bad, and after i missed the clutch one day and tried to brake tap and killed my bike i had to figure something out to fix that. i just don't grip hard now.

thanks gary, im gonna try that for sure. might be exactly what i need

i went riding yesterday and gripped with knees and gave my hands a break but i guess since i dont wear knee braces my knees were swollen and bloody from gripping the bike

i never realized how much i actually gripped with my knees until someone stole my knee braces and i wasn't able to go riding. i couldn't ride for 2 days after because they were soo messed up