Sign in to follow this  

The 3x3 air box mod

I'm still new here and maybe I'm looking right past it but what are the details on the airbox modification? Do you just pull the right side plastic off and hack a 3x3 inch square in it anywhere? Can I get the same results by using a 2" hole saw and make two holes?

Thanks,

Hold on, the hole goes in the top of the box, not the side. Do a search on youtube, there's a few step by step tutorials.

theres a bunch of good videos on youtube. If you dont have a jet kit when you do this....im pretty sure itll make your bike run sloppy

you need to read the drz faq forum at the top of the page.on page 2 under eddie's common thread reference is the master 3x3 post.scroll down a few frames on the first page and you'll find a nice example of the 3x3" airbox hole and where to put it.

but read the whole faq.lots of great reading in there for the new guys on getting up to speed on the drz.

Read the FAQ. All of it. there are lots of things you need to know. Not the least of which is that there is more to the 3x3 mod. than just cutting a hole in the top of the box.

When you do cut the hole I recommend using a three inch putty knife and a propane torch. Heat the knife until it is hot enough to melt plastic. The putty knife measures the three inch side ofe the hole and cuts it clean with no cuttings getting in the airbox. Works like a charm, no fuss no muss.

when you do cut the hole I recommend using a three inch putty knife and a propane torch. Heat the knife until it is hot enough to melt plastic. The putty knife measures the three inch side ofe the hole and cuts it clean with no cuttings getting in the airbox. Works like a charm, no fuss no muss.

+1 👍 It's the easiest way to do it mess free and takes only a few minutes and your done. But read the faq section and you'll see how easy the whole process from cutting the 3x3 to jetting really is