Sign in to follow this  

How Much Fork Oil?

Oh, my. Coobs gone Orange?! Can't really help you with your oil question, as I have an XC. Just surprised to see you here 👍 Did you get a 300?

Reason it doesn't specify the amount of fork oil is because you fill with enough oil to set the correct air gap above the oil. If they said chuck 430ml into each for leg then the chances are the air gaps would come out different. All the bikes with WP forks that I've had, a litre of bottle of oil has been plenty enough with well over 100ml left over.

Reason it doesn't specify the amount of fork oil is because you fill with enough oil to set the correct air gap above the oil. If they said chuck 430ml into each for leg then the chances are the air gaps would come out different. All the bikes with WP forks that I've had, a litre of bottle of oil has been plenty enough with well over 100ml left over.

Very good info. I thought it might be something like that. Is there a fill line? What's the right air gap between the top of the oil and bottom of the cap?

Oh, my. Coobs gone Orange?! Can't really help you with your oil question, as I have an XC. Just surprised to see you here🤣 Did you get a 300?[/quote

I surprised myself:lol::applause: Long story short I roached the transmission in my beloved 450X finally and needed a new bike. For numerous reasons the 300 was an obvious choice. I can't even believe how good the 300 is.👍:thumbsup:🙂

Manual does not specify amount and the WP site just says "fill with fresh oil". XC-W forks....how much oil? Thanks!

Do a YouTube search for the Slavens Racing video WP forks. Excellent way to see how it's done correctly.

Do a YouTube search for the Slavens Racing video WP forks. Excellent way to see how it's done correctly.

That's a great idea!

Oh, my. Coobs gone Orange?! Can't really help you with your oil question, as I have an XC. Just surprised to see you here🤣 Did you get a 300?[/quote

I surprised myself:lol::applause: Long story short I roached the transmission in my beloved 450X finally and needed a new bike. For numerous reasons the 300 was an obvious choice. I can't even believe how good the 300 is.👍:thumbsup:🙂

I've still got my X, but it doesn't see much action. The 300 takes a lot of dialing in - suspension, jetting, power valve, etc. It's incredible how easy it is too change it's personality. Once you get it just right, it's an unbelievable bike. And, sooooo easy to work on compared to the X.

Don't you just love the 50 lbs. weight reduction?

Very good info. I thought it might be something like that. Is there a fill line? What's the right air gap between the top of the oil and bottom of the cap?

Most of this depends on your weight and how stiff you want it... Most run 90mm to 120mm air gap....I use 110mm

Most of this depends on your weight and how stiff you want it... Most run 90mm to 120mm air gap....I use 110mm

Thanks, fender bender! I watched the video on Jeff Slaven's site last night on fork oil height. He did the gap at 120mm. Very good video BTW:thumbsup:

I've still got my X, but it doesn't see much action. The 300 takes a lot of dialing in - suspension, jetting, power valve, etc. It's incredible how easy it is too change it's personality. Once you get it just right, it's an unbelievable bike. And, sooooo easy to work on compared to the X.

Don't you just love the 50 lbs. weight reduction?

The 300 is like riding a dream prefectly dialed or not:thumbsup: I need to shut it off and stay off it long enough to get it all right. 👍🤣:lol:

Set the fork oil height at 100mm, then drain down to 120mm height and measure how many cc of oil drained in the 20mm difference. If the 120mm is too soft, you can add oil through the fork air bleed screw with a large syringe in a measured amount. You won't have to take the forks off with this method.

I changed the fork oil and springs last night and set the gap at 120mm. Finally got to ride today with the new springs front and rear. Takes big hits better and is much harder to bottom. I found it a little harsh and hoppy on rocks and breaking bumps so tomorrow I'll play with the clickers a little and it should be perfect.👍🙂 One thing I've noticed is that more preload on the forks makes sand and silt easier. Might have to add more oil and go back on the preload? Static sag is 28ish mm when race sag is set at 104-105. Not exactly in spec but close.:applause::jawdrop:🤣

Hi Everyone! I have a 2000 model EXC 125 with an EXC 200cc head on it. its a beast and it flys, has great acceleration!! absolutely love it. however!... i need some advice on the air gap... is 120mm between the bottom of the cap and the top of the oil suitable for a 51kg enduro rider? i like my suspension soft... thanks!!