Sign in to follow this  

02 450R problems.

Hey guys. I appologize for the novel.

Just went out and got a 02 450R. I havent riden since 2006 so I'm a bit rusty on my knowledge. Here we go, just got this 02, started up fine when I got it. When I got it home it fired up great as well. I took it for a ride up my road and while I was doing that I clutched it and it shut off. The guy said the valves were just done so I figured it was the fuel, since it was sitting. I took off the tank and emptied it and put in some 93. I've yet to get it started again and don't really want to open it up. I took out the spark plug and it was soaked. I cleaned it all out the best i could, without taking anything apart, but only had it backfire when kicking it. Any ideas? I'm stumped.👍

If the plug is soaked I would at a minimum replace it with a fresh plug. If the bike has sat for awhile you might check that the float in the carb isn't sticking. If it is it will allow unmetered fuel into the intake tract which could explain the wet plug and sudden dying.

Update. Pulled the carb and cleaned that thoroughly. Replaced the plug and checked for spark. Now that I cleaned the carb every couple of kicks it backfires. I made an appointment to get it checked out but I'd rather not pay that much if it's something I can do with a little direction. Any things I should check for? The valves were just done also.

EDIT: Seems to have fuel leaking from the airbox boot from to carb? Any ideas guys?

Edited by markm32

my 02 is doing the same thing. i jumped it behind my rzr down the street and it backfired for about 35 feet then fired up. I rode it for about 3 minuts arround the neighborhood then it started loosing all power again and backfiring like crazy and i olmost had to walk it home. did you find what was wrong with yours? I cleaned the carb and it didnt fix it but mabye i missed something inside or set something wrong.

I figured it was either the timing or valves. I order a whole new engine basically. Sorry I couldnt help.

I was desperate and pulled off my head and checked the valves. the intake was toast!! i was shining a light in the intake manafold and you could see light from the arround the valves. i ordered a intake valve kit with springs and im just going to go steel. if i wanted to band-aid it back together then i could of used a smaller shim but when i pulled the valve and looked at the wear grooves it gave me the chills so its getting new valves.