Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on carb maintenance please??

I recently bought a 2005 CRF450x. It pretty much runs freakin' awesome. Even my two-stroke die-hard buddy absolutely can't get enough of it. My question is, do you periodically tear the carb apart for cleaning and new gaskets or do you run intil it gives you a reason to tear it apart. Just looking at it and talking to the previous owner, I doubt it has ever been apart. I am thinking ride it all summer and then maybe tear it apart come winter. Any input from those who know these carbs would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would take it apart to rejet it...but otherwise i'd leave it until it gave me a reason to go in...maybe a cleaning at the start of the season if the bike sits for any length of time. My .02:thumbsup:

Since you arean't sure how the old owner treated it, couldn't hurt to pull it apart and soak the jets in carb cleaner, and just hose the inside out and inspect the float assembly

As long as you don't let gas sit in the carb or gas tank for more then a few weeks/couple months, you shouldn't have any problems with the carb for years to come