Sign in to follow this  

Another KLX300 Valve Question

I've been lurking for over a year reading tons of great info on the KLX300 and I have read a number of posts about valve issues...

When I bought my bike last year (for $250:smirk:) it wouldn't start. Valve clearance on intake valves were both close to 0 but not completely shut. I was able to shim them back into the proper range, the bike started right up and I enjoyed a year of trouble free riding.

I decided to check the valves this spring and one was completely shut, the other barely open. I re-shimmed them both and they are in clearance, but I am using 2.45 shims to accomplish this and it looks like I can't go any smaller if I need to re-shim in the future. Also, the fact that one was completely closed tells me it's probably time for new intake valves. Thoughts?

Also, how much will it cost for intake valves and what is the level of difficulty? I have the manual, I've just never done a valve job before.

Good questions. I would like to know the awnsers as well considering I just purchased a KLX 300 and commute with it, Scary I know. Good deal. Sheesh $250? I just paid $2k LoL. I would also like to know if there are aftermarket sources or OEM is the only way to go. What seat recommendations? Projected costs?

Hey Johnny,

You will need new valves just like I did when my bike would not start. The valves are not that hard to replace just make sure you do not wait to long. I just lapped the new ones in when I replaced the ones in my 300. I also did the valve guide seals and etc... I also replaced the exhaust ones when I had the head removed.

If you have the cash you might think about doing a big bore kit!! The difference that the upgrade makes is amazing!! I also did a little port and polish work on the head while the valves were removed. I removed all of the casting flash and touched little stuff up. The scotch brite type wheels used on a dremel worked great and were not aggressive. The small sanding flapper wheels are also good to use.

I ordered all of my parts from ronayers.com They have a really good microfiche.

Dennis

So just to be clear, if I replace the intake valves it should solve the lack of clearance problem?

Also, the exhaust valves have always been within spec when I check them so I assume there is no point in replacing them?

Thanks

If the valves are cupped, which is the typical failure mode as opposed to seat wear, yes.

I replaced the exhaust ones as a precaution and nothing else. And yes if you replace the intakes it should fix your problem.

Dennis