450X weight?

I think I read 260 lb w/o gas somewhere. I believe there is about at 30 lb difference between the X and R depending on year. The ’09 R is pretty light.

I just sold my 450R and with all the guards, kickstand and flywheel weight, I couldn’t really notice the difference between the X and R.

To get an idea what 30 lbs feels like: the average muddy bike is 30 to 35 lbs heavier according to Dirtbike magazine.

A 450X ready to go is in the 280-290# range. That's heavy but not by E-start thumper standards. There's little weight difference between the X and even the new 'Berg 390, for example. Might be just me but the kick stand and E-start are worth the extra weight on the 450X.

Wow, that is really heavy. For cruising around it wouldnt matter much but

I need to be able to keep up with my buddies. If they are on bikes 40lbs lighter

it is too big of a disadvantage. Maybe a stripped 450X with a button and green sticker would be workable.

I need to be able to keep up with my buddies. If they are on bikes 40lbs lighter

it is too big of a disadvantage. Maybe a stripped 450X with a button and green sticker would be workable.

People make too big a deal out of weight. Two of the fastest single track riders I know both weigh around 250lb each. One rides an xr650r and the other a 650 burg and both of them carry a bunch of water and tools.

I really don't believe a stripped down 450X will go any faster than stock.

People make too big a deal out of weight. Two of the fastest single track riders I know both weigh around 250lb each. One rides an xr650r and the other a 650 burg and both of them carry a bunch of water and tools.

I really don't believe a stripped down 450X will go any faster than stock.

For sure there are some riders who do amazingly well in technical terrain on heavyweight machines:thumbsup: I agree it makes little sense to try and strip down a 450X.

If it's too heavy for you, you should buy a lighter bike. You can't get more than 20 lbs off of the X unless you spend thousands to do so.

Weight is irrelevant anyway. My X ready to ride is about 274. But I have EVERYTHING added to it, and NOTHING removed. I need all the stuff, cause I do all day rides sometimes, and I don't things failing. My R was about 230, and I could not ride it for more than about 45 min at a time without stopping to rest. WAY too hard to ride at any pace other than very fast, which makes me stop and rest too!

If you can't keep up with your buddies because your bike is 40 lbs heavier, you need to practice more.

Unless it's an MX track or all Enduro cross, the weight is just not that important.

Wrong, I have had 2 450Rs and currently have a 250X and 250R. The 250R feels, skinnier, lighter, faster, and racier than the X- until I stripped it down. I am sure it would be the same for the 450X vs R. I race MX and Enduros. Until you guys strip all that weight off your X including the muffler, set up the suspension, and ride one 30lbs lighter, you dont know what your missing. There is no way it doesnt make a difference. It is significant, especially that muffler high up in the rear. Anyway, I dont want to argue, to each his own. As I said, it only matters if you are trying to go fast. If crusing, it doesnt matter. BTW, I am small and weigh 165lbs so maybe it makes more of a difference than a Clydsdale.

I think we're confused about what you mean about "stripped down" then MMotohead. I was thinking you were stripping off the starter, wiring, battery, etc. Most everyone I know goes to a lighter after market exhaust on the 450X. I have a 450R and it's light and agile and fast but a total pain in the ass as an off road race bike. If it had E-start, a WR box, heavier crank, a kickstand, lights, and a more forgiving chassis it would be better....but then it would be a 450X. The R is a great bike for track and playing but that's where it's greatness ends.

Until you guys strip all that weight off your X including the muffler, set up the suspension, and ride one 30lbs lighter, you dont know what your missing.

I'm not sure why your here asking questions if you've already stripped one down. Quite a few of us on here have owned both Rs and Xs and "know what we are missing". Good luck with your search.

i think stock wet weight is about 270. and there are no bad years. 05-06 there were 2 versions made-the normal version and the CA version. from 2007 until now there has been only 1 version...the original CA version. but other than the emmissions crap the engines have been identical since 2005

Wrong, I have had 2 450Rs and currently have a 250X and 250R. The 250R feels, skinnier, lighter, faster, and racier than the X- until I stripped it down. I am sure it would be the same for the 450X vs R. I race MX and Enduros. Until you guys strip all that weight off your X including the muffler, set up the suspension, and ride one 30lbs lighter, you dont know what your missing. There is no way it doesnt make a difference. It is significant, especially that muffler high up in the rear. Anyway, I dont want to argue, to each his own. As I said, it only matters if you are trying to go fast. If crusing, it doesnt matter. BTW, I am small and weigh 165lbs so maybe it makes more of a difference than a Clydsdale.

No, not wrong.

The 250R frame and motor and the 250X frame and motor are essentially the same. There is not a substantial weight or size difference between the two, accept for what is added for features.

BUT, the 450R and the 450X are not essentially the same. The 450X frame is bigger, wider, taller, heavier, and is quite different, as is the motor. You can't remove this weight, as it is designed into the bike. Even the forks are heavier on the X. The X is not an R with estart, it is a completely different bike. The X is a cross country bike.

I don't understand. Everyone knows lighter is better. But stripping features off a bike just to make it lighter means you bought the wrong bike.

And there is NO WAY you got 30lbs off your 250X. Maybe 9 or 10 at the most. And now you have to lean it against a tree, and kick start it, deal with more flats, walk the bike in the dark, etc.

Wow, what a technological miracle.

+1 to what Coob & Krannie said. & +1 to dezracerE- weight is definitely not a bad thing when going fast in the dez as anyone who has ridden a 125 or 250 2-stroke at speed (for any distance) will tell you. There's a reason why XR600 & 650's won so much and it's not 'cuz they're light.

Also agree that with the 450's the X's and R's are completely different bikes. They share very few parts- the front fender being one of the few. My brother has an R, I have an X, each has over $1,000 invested in the suspension. We ride similar yet varied terrain, anything from moto to 100+ mile rides in the desert. Simply put: His bike SUCKS in the desert and mine SUCKS on the track. IMO there's no way to make either bike great at all of it, so in the end it just boils down to whatever you value or ride on the most- he's an ex pro moto-xer so he got the R, I ride desert & single-track mostly, so the X makes sense for me.

If having it light is a big priority, then go with the R, or better yet, get a 2-stroke. At a buck-sixty-five you're the perfect size for a 125!

Thanks guys. I didnt know the X was different than the R. Between me and my three boys we have a 8 bikes in the garage. Three are CRF250s. I will forget about getting a 450X. A 270lb bike is not what I am going to ride. The green sticker is what Im after.

I have a 450x that I never really thought was that heavy untill i was riding in the dunes and dropped off an unseen dune in 4th gear:ride: about 30 ft to the ground I would say. Landed hard and smashed my helmet to the barpad and took a bad hit to the tenders:cripple:... when I fell over I was not feeling the greatest and I could not pick the bike up!👍... My friends who were riding behind me stopped at the top of the dune and were looking down at me laughing:lol:... I told them to come pick up the bike while I layed on the sand and recovered my breath. One of them was about 5'7" and tiny and rode a kx250 and the other 6' and beefy and rode a yz450. The smaller one got there first and he could not pick the bike up. after a bit of swearing about how much of a fat pig my bike was, my other friend got there to help him and he also thought it was heavy... when i was recovered and could walk again i went to investigate why they thought that my bike was so heavy. (Before this I had never done much more than touch a motocross bike muchless ride one. I felt the 2t and I could not believe how freaking light it was! I could easily tip it up from the ground with one hand! The yz felt almost as light to me also. But the good old 450x never felt heavy to me before comparing it to a moto bike:smirk:... I guess it could be because I was 6'3" and 240lbs back then too:busted:

I have done the exact same and have the scars to remind me of it.

A 270lb bike is pretty much a pig in race bike standards. I am amazed that some people think its not. For desert or fireroads it doesnt matter but the minute you want to go fast in singletrack, its night and day difference.