Sign in to follow this  

1st shot at powder coating

Picked up a powder coating system this weekend. This was my 1st attempt at it. My bikes are going to have a whole new look very soon. lol

powdercoat2005.jpg?t=1269491665

powdercoat3013.jpg?t=1269751335

007-1.jpg?t=1269751490

Edited by kevindepot

It's a Chicago gun from Harbor Freight. Got the powder while I was there but they only carry 4 colors and the red is the only one I will use on my bike. I'm going to order some from Eastwood.

I've been doing some PCing as well. Check out powderbuythepound.com. One of the cheaper places to buy and lots of colors. I just did my cases and some other hard parts with their black magic PC. My cousin ended up getting chrome PC. Did the exhaust tip and it turned out pretty nice.

Dont you have to bake powder coating so it sticks? And for the shine...

Yes most PC is somewhere in the range of 350-425 for roughly 10 minutes or so.

also check out columbia coatings and caswell. Very smart people and a forum to ask questions on to figure out what you want to do and how to do it correctly

Looks great Kevin! 👍

What guns are you guys using?

I want to buy a PC gun myself, will do some engine cases and stuff like that, maybe some rims.

I will spend maximum 300$, but if something cheaper works i would appreciate some info!

also check out columbia coatings and caswell. Very smart people and a forum to ask questions on to figure out what you want to do and how to do it correctly

Ordered hi temp tape and plugs from Columbia. As soon as they get here I'll start doing parts on my bike.

columbia is a good place for that kind of stuff which tape did you order. Also as far as the craftsman gun goes dont do it. Have done it and ya it gets the job done but the quality of the gun and the qaulity of the product isnt very good. Id say if you have a $300 max either go to caswell and they have a nice novice system as well the kool koat 1.0 for $350. I dont have either of these but I have heard good things about them.

here is two that I did last night with Columbia chrome and then the chrome base with caswell lollypop red top coat

1.jpg

4.jpg

Yes most PC is somewhere in the range of 350-425 for roughly 10 minutes or so.

That 10 minute time, is after the substrate reaches temperature. Depending on what is being cured, most parts off your bike could use another 10 to 20 minutes.

That 10 minute time, is after the substrate reaches temperature. Depending on what is being cured, most parts off your bike could use another 10 to 20 minutes.

I usually go for around 15 minute cure times but rule of thumb 10 minutes and it's usually set.

I usually go for around 15 minute cure times but rule of thumb 10 minutes and it's usually set.

For lighter parts maybe, but for larger, heavier items, I wouldn't chance it.👍

Just get a non contact infrared thermometer, it shoots a laser beam at the part and gives back a temp reading. It's the only way to verify correct curing. Every part cures differently. I've had to bake really thick steel parts for two hours just to get the steel up to temp before the powder cures.

Just get a non contact infrared thermometer, it shoots a laser beam at the part and gives back a temp reading. It's the only way to verify correct curing. Every part cures differently. I've had to bake really thick steel parts for two hours just to get the steel up to temp before the powder cures.

Exactly! More mass, more oven time. I've been in the PC buisness 25+ years, and there's been times when we've cured parts overnight(8 hours).

Is it possible to "over cure" a part? Leave it in the oven too long?

Yes. It can lose gloss, change shades, depending on colors, fade and chalk in the sun. Most good powders have a pretty good over bake capability, so like Hit_the_set said, get a infra red thermometer, and check that all is going well.👍

Picked up a powder coating system this weekend. This was my 1st attempt at it. My bikes are going to have a whole new look very soon. lol

powdercoat2005.jpg?t=1269491665

Very nice. 👍

How long did it take to get up and running to where you guys felt comfortable doing this? Much mess in the procedure?

P.S.

My wife says thanks a lot for giving me more ideas and ways to spend money.🤣