What coolant to use in yz250f?

green antifreeze mixed 50/50 with water will work just fine. you can buy it premixed or you can buy it straight and mix it your self. a gallon of 50/50 is about half the cost of a gallon of straight because obviously you are buying half a gallon of antifreeze and half a gallon of water. don't ever mix orange and green antifreeze they will coagulate and cause all sorts of problems

never use pure antifreeze, it will possibly overheat and not circulate properly

also, not with tap water, de ionized or distilled water, remeber flush your cooling sytem before putting new coolant in

never use pure antifreeze, it will possibly overheat and not circulate properly

How did you come to that conclusion? I've ALWAYS used straight ethylene glycol in my bikes & found they run MUCH cooler than when mixed with distilled water. We also used it straight in the top fueller drag car that I was pit crew for (tectaloy gold).

You'll also find that you get NO corrosion in your water jacket when you use coolant concentrate.

I should add that this advise will vary depending on what sort of climate you live in too.

EVERYBODY that is serious about racing a 4 stroke in the GNCC's uses Evans waterless coolant. For the simple fact that it will not boil out of the radiators.

Full-Throttle, using straight ethylene glycol in NHRA or IHRA competition is illegal, and you would be dq'd if caught using it in competition. I use straight water with a bottle of water wetter in my super comp dragster

You might be right there about the regulations. I was only temporary pit crew (filling in for someone) & obviously it wasn't my car so it wasn't my concern. My point was that in doing so you will get better protection from heat & corrosion (friction) by using concentrate, not the other way around as was stated.

i've read countless things saying to use 50:50, even on cars

it even said it on my manual and genuine yamaha antifreeze bottle to mix it with water, i dont know but i'd probably follow what the manual said.

i've heard that because the straight antifreeze doesnt absorb heat as good because its very thick and doesnt circulate fast enough

anyway its what i read in my manual so its what i done and its working fine

read this

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-20639.html

You must add water. Pure Antifreeze won't remove heat well enough to prevent overheating. You want distilled or deionized water.

"Q. What is the best antifreeze/coolant concentration for a vehicle? Can I use 100% antifreeze?

A. We recommend that you use between a 50% and 70% concentration of antifreeze. At least 50% is necessary to give the adequate amount of corrosion protection, as well as freeze/boilover protection. However, we do not recommend more than 70% antifreeze. This would cause restriction of the heat transfer capabilities, corrosion protection, and freeze protection. The concentration of freeze/boilover protection of the antifreeze mixture can be checked using a Prestone® Antifreeze Coolant Tester. "

http://www.prestone.com/carcare/faq.php#q3

Many of my customers use tap water and this is what they get.

1204091415.jpg

0714090908.jpg

I do not recomend using Dexcool or any Dexclone antifreeze. This includes all long life or all makes all models coolant. Standard green antifreeze is getting hard to find.

Watch out because many Dexclones are green.

Some people think that Silicates in the old style green coolant will wear a water pump seal. I think this is overblown. My 1990 KLR250 has had Silicates in it since 1990 and has not developed a leaking water pump seal yet.

My Jeep has 102K on it's original water pump. Ok so far.

How did you come to that conclusion? I've ALWAYS used straight ethylene glycol in my bikes & found they run MUCH cooler than when mixed with distilled water. We also used it straight in the top fueller drag car that I was pit crew for (tectaloy gold).

You'll also find that you get NO corrosion in your water jacket when you use coolant concentrate.

I should add that this advise will vary depending on what sort of climate you live in too.

I bet you were adding antifreeze mix.

Fact is pure antifreeze does not have the heat capacity of water, the measure is called "specific heat". The best cooling is with pure water and a wetting agent. Freeze protection requires adding antifreeze but that reduces the specific heat of the coolant.

The problem with pure water is corrossion and lack of seal protection, antifreeze has additives to help reduce corrossion and provide seal lube. But the protection is short lived so the coolant needs regular changing.

If you don't need subzero freeze protection the second best cooling is water with 25% antifreeze antifreeze.

Here is a chart showing color is not a guarantee of antifreeze type although the OAT antifreeze are typically orange or red and automotive are green.

Antifreeze Coolant Matrix

The original coolant is silicate free ethylene glycol and distilled water mixed 50:50. You want a coolant that doesn't contain silicates because they can cause the water pump seal to leak. All coolants marked "extended life" do not contain silicates and will work fine.

If you are concerned about poisoning your pets, you can use a propylene glycol coolant like Engine Ice or any of the others on the market, but they require a complete flush of the old ethylene coolant with vinegar and water because they are not compatible.

The original coolant is silicate free ethylene glycol and distilled water mixed 50:50. You want a coolant that doesn't contain silicates because they can cause the water pump seal to leak. All coolants marked "extended life" do not contain silicates and will work fine.

If you are concerned about poisoning your pets, you can use a propylene glycol coolant like Engine Ice or any of the others on the market, but they require a complete flush of the old ethylene coolant with vinegar and water because they are not compatible.

Hey Cam, still alive I see.....Hope your doing fine.......👍