269 BIg Bore comments?

• 2 months later...

Not slow, but the powerband is quite different; the 263 was more top end biased, and much more on top than stock. The 300 has more grunt but isn't wild & crazy on top like the 263 was. Overall I prefer the 300 but I think a 269 or 276 would be ideal. Unless of course I have the head ported with the 300, that would (will) be the best.

I have the 269. I spent a lot of time thinking about the pros and cons. I figured the 269 wouldnt be a huge jump in bore size and of course more affordable. It also still revs out where I was worried the 290 or 300 would not. Plus I really liked the quality of the 269 kit from Cylinder Works. The 269 is just enough noticable power down low and a good long pull in the mid range. Certainly its much better out of the corners as well. Noticable power but not the kind that will put you in danger lol. Id say just under "ripping your arms off" if fatigued and really hammering the throttle. The sound of the bike is pretty throaty as well. I Would think a 290 would only be more obvious. Ive only had the 269 tho. Thats my take. Im doing some jetting now and I feel like its gonna run even stronger and there is much to be gained.

I am considering the Cylinder Works 269 kit as well. I have read great things about this big bore, and think it could make my YZF a little more fun to ride. My 08 YZF250's power is somewhat boring. It has good bottom, has a hit early in the mid range, and goes flat on top. From what I can gather, the 13.5 piston used starting in 08 are great for bottom end and mid range, but not so much for the high revs. It looks like the cylinder works kit comes with a 12.5 piston, and should theoretically rev on top better. The extra displacement should offset any bottom end loss from the lower compression piston. MXA did a review of the 269 kit, and basically said it added about 2hp throughout the powerband. Its cheaper than most pipes.