Gel seat and Safari tank

I recently purchased an '06 DR650 and am in the process of lowering it. I was looking into buying a gel seat because I've heard they sit lower but I currently have a Safari tank on the bike and know that there are issues with seats not fitting quite right because of the size of the tank. Has anybody had a problem installing the gel seat on a bike with a Safari tank?

I recently purchased an '06 DR650 and am in the process of lowering it. I was looking into buying a gel seat because I've heard they sit lower but I currently have a Safari tank on the bike and know that there are issues with seats not fitting quite right because of the size of the tank. Has anybody had a problem installing the gel seat on a bike with a Safari tank?

The gel seat is lower but it is no more comfortable than the stock 4x6 post that comes on the DR650. ๐Ÿ‘

I tried the gel seat and it was awful. Luckily I found a local buyer. The worst part about it was how much heat it could conduct and how long it could dissipate it back into your cheeks. Kind of like sitting on a radiator. I bought it for the lowering aspect as well as I have short legs. I think the stock seat is actually more comfortable because your knees don't get bent as much and I have gotten accustomed to the height of the bike. It takes a while to get used to only having a big toe or two on the ground, but once you get accustomed to that and the bike you don't think about it anymore. From what I hear if you have the money a Renazco is the way to go.

My wife and I started with gell seats and road a season with them. Mostly for a lower seat height. Aweful. One three hundred fifty mile trip was torture. The last half was spent on twenty mile stretches then breaks to rest sore butts. Last year we went with Renazco, pricey and took a while. We're very satified with the comfort. Three hundred mile trips are no problem. We use stock tanks so no help there but Renazco will build to suit your tank.

I have a Renazco, and it is great. Give them your information, and they will custom tailor a seat for you. The can even do a custom height. Just tell them what you are looking for, and they will build it. If it's not right when you get it. They will make it right.

Just a bit of objective information for you DR owners...

The IMS tank, as LukasM mentioned, is the one aftermarket tank I'm aware of that "pushes" the seats nose back... about 1/2" on average, but this tends to vary from bike to bike.

OEM pans, having a relatively flexible nose, can accommodate this push, although with many seats, the cover may wrinkle due to the "shortening" of the seat.

Corbin, the only maker to use a thick, rigid fiberglass pan, is forced to make two separate pans to accommodate the stock tank (and other aftermarket) and the very popular IMS tank.

The Suzuki gel seats are intended to be used by riders where seat height is the highest priority... and support and comfort are secondary concerns. They are not designed to be an improvement in comfort or proper support over the stock seat, nor should they be considered where those traits are highly desirable.

Cheers,

Chris

Just a bit of objective information for you DR owners...

The IMS tank, as LukasM mentioned, is the one aftermarket tank I'm aware of that "pushes" the seats nose back... about 1/2" on average, but this tends to vary from bike to bike.

OEM pans, having a relatively flexible nose, can accommodate this push, although with many seats, the cover may wrinkle due to the "shortening" of the seat.

Corbin, the only maker to use a thick, rigid fiberglass pan, is forced to make two separate pans to accommodate the stock tank (and other aftermarket) and the very popular IMS tank.

The Suzuki gel seats are intended to be used by riders where seat height is the highest priority... and support and comfort are secondary concerns. They are not designed to be an improvement in comfort or proper support over the stock seat, nor should they be considered where those traits are highly desirable.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris!

I guess you are right... Suzuki never mentions anything about comfort in their gel seat product description. ๐Ÿ‘ "Shock absorbing gel" is as close to it as they come. They do emphasize low though. I think "frame rail type comfort" would be a good add to the product descriptor.๐Ÿคฃ

Hi Chris!

I think "frame rail type comfort" would be a good add to the product descriptor.๐Ÿคฃ

Howdy Rob...

Suzuki also radius's the sides quite a bit as well to improve "reach" but then you end up sitting with your weight being supported mostly by your crotch... not exactly the best location on the anatomy for a concentration of pressure.

I'd rather sit on a "Spongy Wonder" bicycle seat... at least the support is in the right location. ๐Ÿ‘

large_carpenter.jpg

I guess it's mostly a matter of priorities... absolute minimum seat height or reasonable comfort. In some (most) cases, you simply just can't have both.

Cheers,

C

I have a gel seat mainly for height. I think its slightly harder than the stock since its thinner. Gel or not there's definitely less material between the pan and your ass on the gel seat.

I have a gel seat mainly for height. I think its slightly harder than the stock since its thinner. Gel or not there's definitely less material between the pan and your ass on the gel seat.

The perfect reason to have one, and a excellent, first hand description of what they feel like to sit on. Summed it up nicely T30. ๐Ÿ‘

Cheers,

C

I've got a different take on the gel seat. The stock seat was so hard after an afternoon ride it felt like I had blisters on my butt. The stock seat went to the attic after about a month. The gel seat is much much softer and a little more comfortable than the stock IMHO. I actually rode on it for well over a year but that isn't really saying a whole lot. It too is now in my attic. I have a Corbin now which is still a little hard for my liking but it is much more comfortable because you have a little more supporting your butt. I would prefer a wider and a little softer seat but I am happy with what I have now for the kind of riding I do. I'm sure Renazco is a fine seat from all I've read about it but I didn't know about them at the time. I have spent some money on seats trying to find the right one. I'm not sure there is a perfect one for this bike.๐Ÿ‘

The design of both the stock and gel seats would put pressure on my femoral nerves. After thirty to forty minutes on those "boards" my butt would be in pain. It would feel like it was next to a fire. My upper thighs and hamstrings would be cramping up, and my groin would go numb. It's kind of disconcerting to get off of the bike and walk with a goofy hobble for about five minutes while you are trying to get the appropriate feelings back in your lower extremeties. I'd also have to check in with the twins because they would feel like they were missing as well. The Renazco solved those problems. I haven't ridden for more than four hours at any one time, but when I would stop after a long ride, I wasn't looked at like a pervert due to my post ride procedures.

Oh yea, thanks Creeper! The seat still looks and feels great! The wife doesn't even bother me about the price of it any more!!! She really like the look of it and the details.

"Wife approved"... perhaps the highest and best recommendation. ๐Ÿ‘

Cheers,

C