Sign in to follow this  

New Member.....New Bike.. Polishing Frame and Hitch Hauler

Hi all......Well, I just bought a new bike, so I had to join. Picked up a NEW CRF450R last nite for a killer deal. Been awhile since I rode, but am looking to get back into it to help keep in shape for snowmobiling. I'm 34 now and haven't rode sine I was 20. My last Bike was a CR125, so this is a BIG jump. Way overkill, but couldn't pass up the deal. Main reason I have been out of the game is I dang near live on a boat in the summer salmon fishing. I never really had the time to ride, but then a dockmate and I figured it out. I'm gonna leave my bike at the boat (Ludington, MI) and when I have a blow day or catch my limit early, we can ride!. Oh yeah, he bought one too 👍.

Anyway, on my sled I have alot of aluminum stuff polished and was wondering what I can do on the CRF. I did do a little to the "smooth" aluminum part of the frame, but what about the "rougher" looking part of frame? And the swingarm? How do these respond to polishing.

Also, I have a Fiberglass tonneau cover on my truck. I would like to get a Hitch hauler. If anyone has any advice, that would be great since I no nothing about them. I was told by a budy to buy one that has a steel insert into the receiver of the truck, but the rest to be aluminum to help with weight. (In the pic, thats a buddys tuck).

CR450F.jpg

Thanks all......

polishing just requires more and more work after every ride......i just maroon scotchbrite mine after riding.......just creating more work for yourself but it sure would look nice i guess

Welcome!

I bought a hitch hauler from Harbor Freight for $129. Steel receiver, aluminum frame. It is very nice and I am not a big fan usually of Harbor Freight's junk. Some of their stuff is nice though and this is one of those items.

So far I have about 1000 miles on the hauler with my 450 on the back. That includes interstates, the DC beltway and bumpy country roads.

Polishing? What's that?!?!?👍

Good Luck!

So your happy with the Narbor Frieght one? There is one close by, so I could get it tonite. I see them on Ebay for about that, but I don't wanna wait 👍. As Ricky Bobby says, "I just wanna go Fast'.

If you polish the frame you'll be spending alot of time touching it up after you ride. I did it to my 01 cr250 and it was a pain in the arse to keep polished but it will look good when your hauling it up north and thats all that really maters:thumbsup: I just used some mothers and alot of elbow grease. I decided against doing it to my 450 because its alot of work to keep it shinney. I use a red scotch birght pad and wd40 on the frame I think it looks good that way. Congrats on the new bike and have fun in all that Michigan sand. You might want to change out your front tire to help you out in the loose stuff because the tire they put on it stock sucks for Michigan riding.👍

You might want to change out your front tire to help you out in the loose stuff because the tire they put on it stock sucks for Michigan riding.👍

Yup. Thats the 1st thing I thought about doing. I used to run a 752 and loved it for Michigan. I'm not sure they make it any more.

You should be able to get a 773 which is a great tire that is what I run right now or you can get the repacement for the 773 its called the dunlop geomax Mx31 that is the tire I'll be buying next its great for Michigan trails.

If you go to Harbor freight you should look at thier mx stands they are nice for the price you can pick one up for $20 if you get a coupon out of dirt rider.👍

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-carrier.htm

This is the carrier that I have..works great! I only use the ramp to load the bike, my smoker comes off with out the ramp. I use 3 tie downs 1 on each side of the bars and 1 over the seat so the back end cant bounce.

i have the exact same trailer ^^^ but i have the single aluminum and the DOUBLE for when my boy tags along. i couldnt be happier with either. Only issue ive had was with my hitch. they give u an anti-movement device...i had to modify mine to fit the hitch properly.

That discount ramps one looks nice. But I just called the HF by my house and they have one in stock for me to get today, AND I have a 20% off coupon. They also have the stand there.

Salmonbum...welcome to TT by the way

Thanks..... Does the 450 have a reverse flow muffler or do I need to get a spark arrestor to ride the trails?

You need a sparky. Try pro moto billet they make a nice incert. Here is the link to thier sight. Its a nice piece if you don't want to spend alot on a new muffler. Where at in Mich are you? http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/46_48_36/products_id/486

I live in Dryden, but I have a boat in Ludington, which is where I spend most of my time in summer. My buddy is coming up from Pennsylvania tonite to pick up a trailer he bought down the road from me. He's bringing his bike and wants to ride tomorrow so I thought of hitting the Mounds. Looks like only a small portion of it is open.

The mounds requires a sparky so you might have trouble. There is a gravel pit at 29 mile and mound that we go to I know people still ride there you just have to make sure you don't go on to Stoney Creek property. I have never been kicked out so that might be a good option. I hunt in Dryden right by 7 ponds there are some nice deer over there.👍

Is there a place to park at 29 mile? I have ice fished back in the past, but ist been awhile. My buddy live right next to 7 ponds of Hosner, and yes, lots of deer there.

We park on the side of the road the street is called inwood we ride on the south side of inwood. There is a pit on the north side but the cops will be all over you in about an hour. We park on the north side of the street and cross over to the south side with no problems. I would not recomend ripping down the road either. Chances are if it is nice tomarrow there will be people out there riding. If for some reason the cops do come they will just tell you to pack it up:blah: If your kool they won't bother you. Hopefully:smirk:

In some areas Stoney butts right upto Inwood. Do I just be careful and stay east of that (and south of Inwood)? I really need just get some break in time on it. Haven't rode it yet🤣. Plus I wanna get my stickers on in the morning. Each sticker and add as much as 3+ hp 👍.