Sign in to follow this  

Grabbing Clutch Problem

Hi everyone, since I purchased my '07 450 EXC, it's had a clutch that has been grabbing intermittedly. Each time you let out the clutch, it either performs perfectly, or it sort of comes on harsh and sudden, like it's on or off only.

I've just pulled it apart, and the clutch plates look fine. On thing that I noticed though, as I loosened the clutch bolts, 4 were easily loosened in neutral, but for 2 I had to put it 1st gear to get enought torque to turn them without turning the motor.

Could it be the bolt tightness, or something like I haven't looked at like the hydraulics? 75 hrs and 3000km on the bike by the way.

Any help appreciated.

My '05 450 EXC was doing the same thing last fall, clutch was intermittantly grabby. Finally, the clutch would not fully disengage at all. After a lot of head scratching, I consulted a local KTM guru and he told me to flush the clutch hydraulic system and back bleed with fresh oil. Worked like a champ, no more problems. Hope your situation is that easy to fix.

while you have it apart check clutch basket and pressure plate for grooves on the ears or kogs. if there are any grooves where the steels or fibers interlock with the hub they can feel knotchy. but 80% chance it is just the hyd fluid. full flush and bleed and your fine more than likely

Thanks for the replies. I neglected checking the clutch basket, so I'll do that tonight, bleed the clutch, and see how it goes.

it is not just the basket. it is the pressure plate as well. and it is not the wear surface as much as where the friction discs have tabs on the outside that lock into the basket and the steel plates have teeth on the inside edges the interlock with the PP those surfaces need to be really smooth. you can take a plate and slide it up and down along the pockets. they need to not catch on anything.

im not sure im explaining this right. i hope you get it

Thanks for the replies. For the record, after wiping the black sticky oil off the plates and reassembling, with consistant torque on all of the bolts, so far things are fine. I'd say the loose bolts were the major culprit.