Sign in to follow this  

79 XR500 Questions

Hey everyone, just picked up a 79 XR500 for a pretty good price, and I have a question about a couple of things. Has anyone scrapped the stock airbox and run a pod/unifilter? How interchangeable is the exhaust with later years, ie 83/84? I found a great deal on a 85 xl250r 21" front wheel, and from what I can tell the hub should be a perfect match for the xr, anyone know if I'm right? Oh, and just as a little info, this bike is not going to be run in the dirt, it's going to be a street bike mostly, but I'm going to style it(or try to atleast) as a scrambler-like bike. With that in mind, I'm going to try to find and fit a low chrome front fender, a chrome rear fender, and am going to replace the stock headlight with a generic round bucket and light. Flanders has a nice 5.75" with 6v 30/30 sealed beam that I'm considering, but at nearly $80 I'm wondering if there is a cheaper way. If anyone has any ideas about any of this, or anything else for that matter, please post. Thanks, and I appreciate all the help I'm sure you all will be giving me.

Andrew

ps

I'll post pics up when I can, probably after the weekend.

Well, got a couple of things sorted already. Found progressive front and rears all for just under $300 delivered. Parts Unlimited regulator is on order so I'll run 12V headlight, taillight, and horn. Two options on the headlight; run of the mill 7" round, and I found an interesting headlight with speedo bucket on ebay from an old 125tr that I'm going to try to fit. No idea what the dimensions are though, so I'll have to wait and see when I get it. That leaves figuring out the fenders front and rear and refurbishing the seat, maybe fabricating a small rear rack.