Sign in to follow this  

Riding with heart failure

Hi all!

late last year (29/12/09) i had a stroke and was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. came as a shock as i am only 29!

This question is directed to the TT members who are still riding with heart problems. What measures do you take to avoid dropping dead on the side of the trail? While i trust my cardiologist and the rest of the team in the hospital that help me i am sick of hearing the same advice not do ride my kato.

This weekend is going to be the first weekend back on the bike. the precautions i am taking are: 1) not pushing it hard to try and minimise the stress on my heart. 2) carry my first aid kit on the bike so i have something incase i open a gusher as i am full of blood thinners. 3) pay close attention to my fluid intake etc etc.

does anybody have any other suggestions or words of advice?

Probably very obvious, but always riding with a buddy would be my advice. Best of luck....glad to see it's not keeping you down.

my hat is off to you man.......i dont have any heart problems so i cant give any advice in that area but just an idea i thought of would be to take one of these incase you was to have any problem's and yeah as ThatsA5 said a riding buddy would be a great idea

http://international.findmespot.com/

I can relate completely......I have heart problems and still ride at 37 y/o. I have a genetic condition with the sinal node in my heart that causes an irregular heart beat and premature ventricular contractions. Had it all my life but got much worse almost two years ago, and then finally was properly diagnosed. I'm on BP meds to keep the PVC's down and thinners to prevent clotting from the turbulence in my blood stream. It seems to help a lot. There always is a chance of sudden death or stroke I'm told. My Uncle that has the same condition has an internal defibrulator currently and is headed for a pace maker eventually......

I carry a tournequet and also have the hose off my Camelback to tie things off if I get a squirter from a bone poking through. One thing that is always worrys me is internal bleeding...not much you can do about that on the side of a trail....

my precautions are basically what you stated

1/ Ride with a buddy or group with someone who hopefully knows first aid and CPR.

2/ Carry a tornequet (because of the blood thinners) and make sure people know how to use it.

3/ Most important for me to stay hydrated and when things start flip flopping in my chest (they do every ride) to take five minutes, drink some water, and get the blood pressure down.

All that said......ya gotta live a little......or die trying.... 👍

All the best to you...

may 23 i had a heart attack right corodid blocked 100%. no family history good colesterol ect.. ect... it really does me good to hear of others still riding after cardiac diagnosis.

🤣👍

KEEP IT UP BROTHERS

Google Frank Starling curve....if you put too much load on your heart it wont be able to keep up and it will send you into failure. I dont know what your ejection fraction is but I would assume you are on digoxin, coreg, metoprolol, etc...take it easy and dont push yourself. You have many years ahead of you and need your heart to function...

Theres a big difference between atrial fibrillation and ventricular failure when it comes to strenuous exercise. The atria do not contribute as much to the pumping action of the heart as do the ventricles.

I understand, But my point was you need to live to die and not worry so much!

I understand, But my point was you need to live to die and not worry so much!

Yup...but the problem with heart failure is that if you dont watch out, your living will be very miserable. Moderation is the key. 👍

Hi all!

late last year (29/12/09)

does anybody have any other suggestions or words of advice?

I've had some heart trouble/heart damage and still ride. I'll just back off if I feel any weird sensation in my sternum area. That's a signal the heart might be low on oxygen. Short rest and keep on going. Just listen to the signals, don't ignore them.

If on the bike I never need a rest. Wrestling the bike, maybe.

Backpacking up hill I do take frequent rests.

Better than dying and a lot better than not living at all!

Keep on living life!👍

Toast

I love your statement (I'd rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle)