Sign in to follow this  

Florida Test ride a ZERO!! There here till Sat.

I stopped by Ferrara's Victory (Melbourtne, Wickham Rd. S. of NASA) yesterday to talk to Tony Jr. and low and behold I see the Zero trailer there and two bikes out of it (an MX version and SuperMoto version). I asked can I demo ride one and Jerry the SE rep says sure. I get a briefing on all the controls and such and take off out behind Ferrara's on "low mode" to get the feel of brakes then I come back and switch to "high mode". Let me tell you I was impressed so much today I brought my Mx boots and helmet to "really" give it a go. The riding area isn't much but I asked if its been on a real track or woods and Jerry said he was at Sunshine about 2 weeks ago (it was a a race and rainy) and several guys rode it there and then he was at Croom and had some guys ride it. I plan to see what the shocks can handle (for jumping) and really try some cornering.

What I like is the excelleration and lightness (200lbs<)

What I don't like

1. $9500 for a bike that has "a lot" of bicycle parts.

2. Rear brake is on left handle grip (you got to be "real" aware of this:bonk

3. Have to turn it off to switch "modes"

So stop by Ferrara's and take it for a spin and post your thoughts.

Don:thumbsup:

Don i have been dying to ride one of these. I have so much area i could ride with one and noone would know i was there. I'm gonna try to make it thanks

Oh man, I wish I saw your post earlier! I was right around the corner today on Ellis

I test drove one in Daytona at bike week. I rode the MX bike but it was on a course layed out in a parking lot.

Torque of an electric motor is great. The bike was wider than I thought it would be. The odd thing I felt was once you open it up reall good then back of the throttle you can't just whack it open again and it respond. The motor has to spin back up again making it delay quite a bit.

I'm with you DonO on the expense for what you get.

DonO and Mr. Smooth,

Thanks for some insight on these bikes. They are intriguing and may some day become the main stream 2 wheel off road bike. I had never heard the comment about the inability for the motor to instantly respond to repeated wide open throttle. That is something they definitely need to improve.

Hey you guys need to post up more often!

Mark C

Master 67B

Okay I forgot to post my real test ride that I did last Friday afternoon.

MX version

1. Practiced a typical starting gate takeoff - you'll be last off the line with the 0 (I even tried power-braking for the jump with no better result)

2. Sort of stacked 3 pallets (angled a bit) to simulate jumping/log crossing (we set the compression to max - no rebound that we could find?) and the bike came real close to bottoming out the shocks (I'm 195lbs)

3. Did some real hard corners to dig the rear wheel in and kept on the gas (i didn't notice "much" bogging (ground is flat, would like to have a go in a deep tall sand berm!!!)

4. Couldn't get a wheelie going at all.

5. I wonder how the motor handles deep water????? (just call me DIW........................"dead in the water")

Other info

1. The bike is as tall as my 450 so it wouldn't be ideal for a woman.

2. The rear shock is flimbsy mounted, I bet one 60' jump and landing a bit sideways would rip it off

3. 2 hrs of ride time then 10 hrs to max charge (got electric hookups at tracks and woods???)

SuperMoto version

1. First thing I noticed is what a heavy steering front end??

2. Headlight is huge (WTH) and must be only for catching all the lovebugs.

3. At least the rear brake pedal is on the right footpeg.

4. I couldn't do a small stoppie, but you can do some rear sliding.

Other info

1. The bike is just a bit lower than the dirt bike

2. I didn't like the pitch of seating (had me always leaning forward and I thought I was gonna superman it some times when hard stopping)

3. Same crap for running/charging

Don:thumbsup:

Thanks for the info DonO! Been wondering about these bikes. I see the same HUGE downfall you do: time to ride is WAY less than time to charge...