Sign in to follow this  

Best way to lighten a 250 4T?

i ride a 4T 250 and a 2T 125. I like the power delivery of the 4T but I like the lightness and nimbleness of the 2T. Is there a relatively quick/low cost way to take weight off a 4T? On avg they are about 20-25 pounds heavier the a 2T 125- which makes a difference on the tight/technical trails that i ride. thanks.

Short answer is no. The weight difference is in the engine, both in scale weight and in feel. No way to get ride of the head with the cams and valves on a 250F compared to the lack of that mass in a 125. You could always get a KTM200XC and put some flywheel weight and tuning into it to give it a smoother powerband. Keep the light weight feel of the 125 and have more peak HP than a 250F while still having most of the rideability of the 250F.

Only way you can get the weight down a decent amount more is by using carbon fiber parts. Moving weight down lower will help with rideability. Reducing unsprung weight will greatly enhance feel and rideability. That would be anything that moves under the suspension. brakes, hubs, wheels, swingarm, sprocket.

Reducing the weight will never be cost effective. I think Dirt Bike magazine just had an article about getting a 250 2 stroke under 200 lbs and the cost was ridiculous.

You can make it feel lighter if you buy two things...

1. a treadmill

2. a set of dumbells

These are the two things that help me handle my 450 a little better. Same could apply to a 250f.

Besides, the suspension is so plush on the 4 stroke that I wouldn't want it to be too much lighter.

Like others have said...short answer is no. You can spend big money on titanium and carbon fiber to lose a few pounds. I read where Pro Circuit spends $30,000+ to shave ~10lbs off their race bike using titaniums.

Replace your 250 4t motor with a 250 2t. Bike will weigh about the same, but will have about 10 more hp and be light and nimble similar to the 125.

Install a 144 cylinder, which really perks up the power.

Try different sized flywheel weights to get the power delivery as smooth as possible for the conditions you ride in. Otherwise, ditto what kcdavis just said...

take off all the plastic....and the seat ad the every other spoke and such..... Its not gunna happen.....

i have heard of some ppl lowering the radiators to lower the center of gravity,