Sign in to follow this  

Question from a lurker - how well do these bikes run out of the showroom?

Still trying to make up my mind on a bike, and see much back and forth about modifications. I've loved the XRL's since the 80's. My question is how well (or not) do these bikes run off the show room floor? I mean if I buy one, will it even be rideable going home or will it be sputtering, hesitating, stalling, and hard starting to the point that I'd want to sell it??

I have a friend that bought new2008 in 08 & has done two Mojave Trail, Barstow to Laughlin & back rides, bone stock except for Acerbis 5 gal tank!

Bought an 08 last year, very happy with it bone stock. Did some upgrades this year even more happy.

You will have no problems riding it home from the dealer. I have a 07 with just turned 14k on it no problems at all . Did daves mods at around 5k .:ride:on

can totally ride the xrl home with no concerns whatsoever - just make sure they do the standard setup, oil, gas, air pressure, etc...and you're good to go - unless it's super cold out when brand new, I don't think you'd have any issues with poor idle or stalling

bought mine in the dead of winter, started easily with full choke but I had to nurse the choke before she would idle reliably in very cold weather - it will also pop a bit here n there on decel but that's totally normal due to the stock lean-ness and smog bs - even in stock form, mine never hesitated or sputtered - it did feel kinda choked up though, hence why almost everyone does the rejet and other mods, but it started and ran totally reliable

Great question. Most people who buy a brand now XR650L will ride it that way for a while. The fact is, if you do anything more than change the jets, you risk voiding the warranty. They start ok, you will need full choke when cold & it'll pop on decel but it will be fine. There are a LOT of people that keep these bikes for years in the stock form.

The fact is also, it can be easily improved on. Even just a foam air filter and new jets will make it start easier and run stronger with no decel pop. It's totally optional.

Finally, I must add, the stock handlebars are complete pieces of crap. The sweep is bad and if you crash (even at low speed) they will certainly need to be replaced. If you get some Taper bars on there, you will LOVE them. Stronger & more ergonomic.

the stock handlebars are complete pieces of crap.

Don't take this as a nitpick, but I have stock bars on a '93 250R that have been through West Texas enduros, New Mexico and Colorado US forest trails, and I crash plenty often. No issues. Only complaint I had about them was they were stone white, like the frame. Never cared for that.

Kind of like the stock bumpers on my Jeep...I just figured I'd buy expensive parts once I wasted the stock parts. Haven't needed to yet. 🙂

Of course, the L is much heavier than the 250, and it may only take me augering it in once to pretzel them. 👍🤣

Just my .02...YMMV.

The ride home from an off-the-floor purchase will only make ya smile all the way home. At least that's the way it was for me. Was fully content with the bike all stock but let this site get the better of me so started making mods. Peer pressure has made my bike better and now I'm one of those who would highly encourage modding the bike.

That said, If I'd never heard of any of the mods to make the bike run better and it was still all stock, I'd still be smiling every time I got on it and would be getting better mileage to boot. I'm happy I gave up the couple extra mpg's for the few mods I've done though.

Bottom line.......go buy it and enjoy.

I bought 97 with 18800 miles on the clock. It was all stock except for the being desrokled. This was about a year and half ago. It ran but it was a clogged up. So it should be fine. Ben

Most of the mods I did on my XRL were done to better fit the type of riding I am doing.

It will do fine bone stock off the showroom floor, but the cool thing about this bike is that you can mod it into whatever you want it to do.

Bought an 08 last spring. Haven't done anything besides oil changes and tires. Runs great. Love it

The previous owner of my bike hadn't done anything to it at all. He drove it stock from when he bought it new (in '05) until I bought it a couple years. I can never leave well enough alone so I've done dave's mods, smog removal, a threw a Q4 on the bike. It's night and day between how it is stock and with a few basic mods but is easily driveable in stock form.