Sign in to follow this  

RM 144 Gearing

Ok,

I'm working on sorting out my 144 gearing. I searched and read some of the posts on here. I was running a 12/51 and that was pretty good. I'm running a 12/49 right now and don't like it at all, no bottom end torque, and I find myself shifting and clutching way more than normal. What is the best happy medium between bottom/top?

Thanks,

Tim

Im assuming your using it for mx? I prefer 13/50, works perfect for me!

Yeah, I am running mx. The peak power is pretty awesome right now, but the bike lugs out of corners, not enough torque. My front sprocket is a 12 right now, I would want to go down a tooth up there to gain more torque, correct? If I try switching to an 11 up front, it's like adding 3 teeth to the rear sprocket right? I might try and switch my front sprocket around as they are a lot cheaper than rears.

Thanks,

Tim

Correct I have always heard there is about a 3:1 difference, who did your head and porting work? If you had the bike set up for top end your gonna find it diff. to get the torque your looking for. And I have tried about every gearing combo avail. and 13/50 worked best for mx application in my situation, although I do run 12:51 for the woods on the rare occasion that I hit the woods and it seems to work pretty well for that application. Dunno if that helped at all but just thought Id share what worked best for me.

i had a yz144. i messed around with gearing for awhile but ended up running the stock gearing on it. my reasoning was 1) why gear it taller and lose what little torque i gained over a 125? and 2) why gear it lower, i had it built to a 144 for torque, to be better able to stretch out each gear.

this was for mx. jmho.

Thanks for the replies. I picked up a cheap jt 51 tooth rear, so I'm going to try that tomorrow at the track. I ran 12/51 previously, but not with a fresh motor, so maybe that's what I really liked I just didn't know it yet.

Thanks,

Tim

i believe i had 13 50 or 13 49 on my 07 rm 144. If you search my posts theres a reply to someones thread with what gearing i had on it. i just sold it so i cant check it.