Sign in to follow this  

Radiator Service Thread?

Tried every search I can think of but no luck - looking for a thread I remember seeing previously concerning radiator service that had good info on flushing and annual rad service. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Hamp

usually just a drain and refill deal. if you really want a flush, take off the hoses and rads and rads and flush them with a garden hose. put a garden hose on the inlets and exhaust ports in the motor to flush as well.

when refilling with coolant. i use a 50/50 mix of a quality coolant and de-ionized water, then i add a few ounces of bar's water pump lube

http://www.barsproducts.com/1311.htm

i get a clean bucket and mix the coolant and deI water and the bottle of lube. mix thoroughly, refill your rads and bleed off air. it is enough to do about 2-3 bikes and still have some for top offs later

your book will have a bike specific bleeding of the air process

Thanks, that's basically what I've done in the past. The thread I'm seeking discussed flushing with a vinegar/water mix (or something similar) to remove deposits, just curious about that...

Hamp

yeah you could use a 50/50 mix of distilled vinager and de-I water, but there is some concern that that is hard on water pump seals. but im not sure. i havent ever had much deposits in my coolant systems on my bikes. the bar's water pump lube is really good stuff, since i started using it i have had NO water pump seal failures...

Thanks, that's basically what I've done in the past. The thread I'm seeking discussed flushing with a vinegar/water mix (or something similar) to remove deposits, just curious about that...

Hamp

I run the 50/50 vinegar & distilled water flush. Start the bike and let it idle til it opens the thermostat and circulates, drain, refill with distilled water only and then drain to fill with service fluid of choice. After 5 yrs black soot is likely the hoses breaking down. If the bike has good gaskets, you don't find much in newer bikes. Use of lined hose clamps is a good idea. Available at hydraulic shops, they provide a wider clamp with a completely smooth ID so the clamp doesn't bite your hose causing cracks. Under $2.00 ea. I couldn't get the smaller ID clamp for one section of thermo to radiator for the EXC. A must for silicone hose, so I will have to make a liner for my std clamps.

Thanks Cold SMoke, exactly the link I remembered!

For Burnrider: A silicone hose kit is part of my maintenance this year. Can't believe the blasted kit doesn't come from CV with the proper hose clamps, can't find them in my little Western WA town either. How do you make a liner for silicone hose using a standard hose clamp - never heard that one before, could you shed some light there for me???

Thanks guys,

Hamp

One option to try is a large diameter (1") of the milky white polyethylene tubing sold in rolls at a hardware store. It's hard enough to prevent the 'teeth' from biting into the hose. It can be cut and slit, slipped around the hose under the clamp.

Optimum performance products sells a kit for $30

http://www.oppracing.com/show_product/16877-samco-silicone-radiator-hose-clamp-kit-ktm-450-520-525-sx-exc-fmx-smr/

Pegasus Auto Racing sells the smallest clamp for $2.19 ea. For an EXC, the right side thermostat to radiator clamp is only 3/4" dia. so we have to make a liner to protect the hose. A PE liner may be the best bet.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3613

For other internet options I just searched 'lined hose clamp' to find a list of stores.

Thanks - i ended up calling CV hoses and they sent me a full set of lined clamps for 6$. I also asked why they didn't include 6$ worth of clamps in a $140 hose kit (seems silly to me), they said they would be moving in that direction in the future. Shouldn't have had to ask, but at least they came through in the end.

Thanks again for all the info gang!

Hamp