Sign in to follow this  

2001 CR 125 good woods bike?

Is this a good woods bike? I am thinking of trading my 250 for the 125 because I dont realy use all the power of the 250, and I think I would like a smaller more managable bike. What would it need to be a great trail bike?

Are you trading a 250 4t or 2t? A 125 can be a decent woods bike, but 125's tend to have to be ridden more on the pipe. A 250 2t can be lugged or ridden on the pipe depending what your riding needs require.

As someone who owns a 2001 cr 125, let me ask - how would you honestly rate your skill as a rider? The 01 cr125 is notoriously underpowered, especially on the bottom end. I bought this bike as a novice rider last summer and had a bitch of a time learning to ride the thing - though if you're willing to get aggressive and keep the thing wide open, you'll find the bike extremely nimble. With a bit of tuning as well, the bike can become a serious weapon in the forest that has potential to walk all over 4t 250s.

Looking back, I should have bought a 250 because I wasn't the most assertive of riders but at this point - I wouldn't trade for the world. All the buddies I ride with are on thumper 250s and can lug the bikes up any hill sitting down but would die trying to climb something on my 125. Harder to learn with but pays off in the long run.

As someone who owns a 2001 cr 125, let me ask - how would you honestly rate your skill as a rider? The 01 cr125 is notoriously underpowered, especially on the bottom end. I bought this bike as a novice rider last summer and had a bitch of a time learning to ride the thing - though if you're willing to get aggressive and keep the thing wide open, you'll find the bike extremely nimble. With a bit of tuning as well, the bike can become a serious weapon in the forest that has potential to walk all over 4t 250s.

Looking back, I should have bought a 250 because I wasn't the most assertive of riders but at this point - I wouldn't trade for the world. All the buddies I ride with are on thumper 250s and can lug the bikes up any hill sitting down but would die trying to climb something on my 125. Harder to learn with but pays off in the long run.

i agree. i traded my 250 4stroke to get back on a 2smoke. i also have an 01 cr125

I recently purchased an '07 CR125. I have always raced 250 2strokes but I am realizing that less is more. You have to ride a 125 as though you are trying to blow it up! A rider must be aggressive on these tiddlers and they will compete against bigger bikes. The rider always makes the difference, not the engine size. Have fun and shred!

Mark