Valve "flutter" on deceleration?

Backstory: When I bought the bike, I had my local shop do a once over on it and adjust the valves (unfortunately I didn't know enough to have them give me the measurement for a baseline ๐Ÿ‘). They sounded great and only now (roughly 300 miles/30 hours) are they starting to make a light tic. The engine is strong, pulls hard and noisy like most DR-Zs. I'm running Motul 300v since my last oil change and have never seen anything in the oil.

On the last two rides, I've noticed an occasional, short noise that I'm 98% sure is valve noise that I can only describe as a "flutter". It happens on quick deceleration - for example, riding technical single track and I get on it, and then quickly back off and engine brake approaching an obstacle.

Anybody else experience something like this? Normal?

i doubt it's your valves.when they wear the clearances get much tighter not loose due to the valve face receeding into the cyl. head.i'd suspect the cam chain/tensioner.do you still have the acct?if so i'd think seriously of going to the tt mcct to help insure reliability as well as all the loctite fixes(stator and starter clutch,primary gear and balancer shaft nut) that eddie recommends.

i doubt it's your valves.when they wear the clearances get much tighter not loose due to the valve face receeding into the cyl. head.i'd suspect the cam chain/tensioner.do you still have the acct?if so i'd think seriously of going to the tt mcct to help insure reliability as well as all the loctite fixes(stator and starter clutch,primary gear and balancer shaft nut) that eddie recommends.

Thanks for the reply. One of the first mods I did was to replace the ACCT with an MCCT. All loc-tite fixes have been done. Oh well, I'll just continue to ride it and when I have the downtime and cash, send the engine to Eddie for a 4mm stroker + big bore. ๐Ÿ‘

Are you riding this Sunday? I have a loaner bike I can use. I would not mind a Chappie run or Take you guys on a local ride.

Headed to Stonyford and it would be awesome if you could join us. Missed you last week at Georgetown - some hairball stuff that you would have loved (and cleaned, unlike me). Anyway, staging at Fouts Springs and then...๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘ I've got room in the truck, so let's make it happen. Say 8 AM?

And to keep it on topic...

Too many noise threads made you paranoid huh?

I'm beginning to think that's the case. ๐Ÿคฃ

Do you have an FCR? Sometimes they make funny noises.

Good to know. Yes, I do have the FCR ('03 KLX400R) and perhaps that's the case. It's an interesting noise, but I'm just gonna keep riding and having fun.๐Ÿคฃ If something goes awry, then I'm gonna have to call Eddie...or RockMonster. ๐Ÿ‘