xr600r help

Ok guys I need some help.....I recently bought a stock 95 600r and had some carb issues so I bought a new factory carb, long story short got it in and the bike starts and idles great, and pulls good off the bottom, but when I level the throttle out it starts to surge, or cut out...not horribly bad but enough I notice it....its got a new uni airfilter and a new plug....is this a symptom of being to lean? My elevation is right around 2500 feet...thanks for any help....sorry im a newb....thanks

Waterbar

Sorry the jets are 152 main 62 pilot that are in the carb.....it is a brand new factory stock carb.....it is set exactly how they come right from the factory.....im pretty sure the the clip is in the third position.....at least it should be....I know that the jets are whats stated above, cause I looked at them last night.

It is set to 2 turns out right now.....I havent messed with that.....I figured I would probably have to bump my jet size up......should I be messing with the mixture screw versus upping jet size? I dont wanna do to many things at the same time just in case I make it worse....lol....thanks for the help so far guys.

Sorry, I just checked my notes and I gave you some bad jetting information. What you want is a 158 main, 68 pilot, and the stock needle in the 4th groove (from the top). These are the jets you want if you have uncorked the bike, i.e. tossed the airbox snorkle, after market air filter, and a high flow exhaust.

Yeah ive checked those items....shes getting plenty of fuel......the freaking overflow is pissing fuel on this brand new carb......so I flushed the tank, pulled the petcock, cleaned the new carb again, going to the city today and pick up a new o ring for the petcock and a 155 main and a 65 pilot and see what that does.....the fuel dumping out of the new carb really pisses me off, I will check my float level and try cleaning out that little float needle.....these carbs are hard to make happy. Or maybe I should have flushed the tank from the get go.....its a learning process and fun, just frustrating sometimes...again thank you guys for the suggestions and the pointers.

This is my opinion, having owned three xr600rs. The new carb with stock jets should run smoothly at your elevation with the setup you described. Do not mess with the carb until you've worked out other issues that could contribute to the surging/missing as you back off idle. My guess is that you have a leak in the gasket between carb and cylinder. But it could be a number of things. If you start messing with the carb, you may indeed cause another problem that could throw you off track in search of the real reason it is missing. Start with the basics, as you have. Get a good shop to adjust the valves and check for leaks.

Just a little update....got everything put back together again, even checked my valves again, everything was good, fired up the bike on the stand and it was doing ok, let it warm up a few minutes and gave it some blips on the throttle, still doing the same thing....so I just tried flipping my choke lever to the middle position and gave it some revs and it did great, no cutting out no nothing, nice throttle response whole nine yards....I held the throttle at about a quarter throttle and no cutting out....front wheel is off right now otherwise would have rode it.....with the choke half way on this restricts airflow correct? So this would mean with the choke off it is indeed to lean of a mixture right? Maybe try and raise the needle or lowering the clip, my manual says it will enrich the mid throttle openings, does this sound right.

Yes it sounds like lowering the clip, thereby raising the needle, could do the trick. Also, going to a richer main jet could help. If all your jets are clean and to original specs, then maybe you have a needle that doesn't match the set up.

• 4 months later...

Remember to change out the stock choke flap!!!! (before your piston/valves have pieces for lunch)

I just hand cut new flap, like someone else said they did. Came out great! Now bike breaks up on top end? Can a plane, solid, butterfly flap make air flow that much better? (I sharpened the leading & trailing edge of plate). Gotta check jets now.

* update, jets still clean, but noticed main was still stock @155. (pilot 68) Runs good with 1/2 choke. Will get the 158, & let y'all know outcome.

Edited by bork
update outcome