Sign in to follow this  

anyone ever done a NFL rules bench contest?

representing my unit for middleweight this saturday, 225 as many times as you can, Im shooting for 15 reps, I did 13 in practice after a full arm workout, so I hope!!!!!! Ive never done a bench contest with these rules...anyone else?

Never entered any bench press contest of any kind. What is considered "middleweight"? The most I've ever done with that weight is 10 if I cheated the last rep I'm 5'8" 175-180lb and am not at all genetically gifted:banghead:. Let us know how you did.

I can usually get between 8 to 12 reps of 225 depending on how much I've been doing flat barbell bench lately. Never been in a contest. I've talked with guys that have. Keep feet flat on floor, no bouncing bar off chest, back must be in contact with the bench are some of the rules but are open for interpretation. Good luck:thumbsup:

I got bumped from the team by a guy that I actually beat last week, I was pissed. he ended up doing 12 reps. I went to an empty bench, did 4 reps @ 275 then knocked out 12 reps @225 with perfect form.....they saw me do that and was sorry they didnt put me on the team, because I would have benched more than both the guys in middleweight for our team. I am 5'8 and 175. Im going to start training for a regular bench contest coming up, hopefully I can get 320, I just gotta get out of the habit of lifting my butt on anything over 275

Look around there are programs out there that if followed will raise your max.

I used one when I was younger and they work.

benching takes yrs to perfect...i have been benching for 39yrs now and did compete for 15 or so yrs..there many thing one must look at in this exercise..chin position,using the back to explode for the first few inches...your lower back must be arched in a drastic mannor,elbows in towards the latzs...position of the bar as it touches your upper abs and keeping this consistant,driving the bar on an arch back towards your spotter..driving with your legs(legs should be pushing back the entire lift)...and breathing properly...i can do 225 over 30 times...and this is at 52yo..no secret,hard work and proper form and heavy wieght during training

When I was playing ball back in the day, I did 225lbs 42 times and 315lbs (three plates on each side) 15 times. Ah, the good ole days lol. Of course, I was working out all the time and my both parents were into lifting weights so it helps to have good genitics (sp). I don't lift heavy anymore but if I did, I'm sure I could build my strength pretty quickly. Like I said before, good genitics (sp) helps big time.

my genetics suck big time lol.....Ive had to overcome alot..I was ALWAYS the scrawny kid, now Im 5'8 with a 46" chest lol

my hat is off the the both of u..jus because u r getting older dont give in..a 46 chest..good job..and 42 reps..great..i was strongest back when i was 28 to 36..i have already equaled my best in my tris....and am almost there in bicepts..and i believe all other lifts will follow..i am 52 now..dont give up..remember....2nd place is for losers