Sign in to follow this  

Goggles for dusty conditions

I wear contacts and EVERY time I ride and at some point I will get dust under them, which makes it very hard see (it's super annoying).

Does anybody make a goggle designed to keep all dust out? The conditions I ride in aren't that bad, but all it takes is one little piece of sand to ruin my day 👍

I'm thinking a "high dust condition" google would do the trick.

Anyone try the Scott "89Xi Desert" model? It says it has more dense foam in it.

I know how you feel. One little spec in my eye and I'm not having fun.

I use Scott's 83x Desert goggles. They work great with the very fine dirt particles we have here in the AZ desert. I haven't had dirt get in my eyes even once since using them. The only problem is that they will fog up on you quicker compared to standard types due to less air flow. Just treat them with an anti-fog treatment and keep a decent pace while riding and all is good.

Edited to add...

The 89x's looks to attempt to address the ventilation problem that the 83x's have. I know I plan on trying a set myself when the time comes.

I've got a set of the 89xi desert goggles. The foam is much denser, and it does an excellent job of keeping the dust out. As SS109 mentioned, they don't let as much air through. If you want I'll sell you mine - used twice, perfect shape - I have several other pairs of Scott goggles and never use these.

I've also heard you can put baby oil or vaseline on the foam to help trap dust, like your air filter, but that sounds like a mess...

Thanks but I've already ordered me a set of them... I wanted to make sure I get them by opening day next Wednesday (Silver Lake sand dunes).

I've also heard you can put baby oil or vaseline on the foam to help trap dust, like your air filter, but that sounds like a mess...

+1

I have been using the baby oil trick for years with good results. Put a little on a Q-tip and roll it around the foam in a small area and repeat until the vent foam has a lite coating, works great! 👍

I just wanted to say I've used the X89i desert goggles twice now and they are AWESOME!!! I think they might fog up when it gets hot out though.