92 KX250 Main Bearing

I'm having a very hard time getting a fried main bearing off the crank on my 92 KX 250. Any ideas? Bearing splitter hasn't worked so far (will try more if needed). The manual says not to use heat. Anyone have a crank they want to get rid of? I've got the new bearings.

Will a KX500 motor fit in there? That would be fun!

TIA

I have cut lots of bearings off with a die grinder/cutoff wheel. Cut the outer, pull it off, cut the cage, remove balls and then carefully cut the inner. Usually have to cut at an angle to clear the counterweight. If the bearing fails sometimes it kinda swedges the race to the shaft.

Thanks guys. I wasn't actually riding it at the time it blew up (great having 16 yr old nephews, eh?), but from what I've patched together of the stories I've heard, it didn't need to be as bad as it is. Poor kid got stranded a looooong way from camp and was just doing what he could to get himself home...

I think I'll try the cutting next.

I just cut a bearing off of a '98 crank (bought the bike knowing it had a spun bearing). What a PITA and waste of time. On mine, the crank spun inside the inner race when the bearing seized and the two parts (inner race and crank) were more-or-less welded together. If your race won't come off with a good puller I'm thinking it's fused to the crank (it would normally be pretty easy to pull). You may want to think about just buying a brand-new crank kit.

I have cut lots of bearings off with a die grinder/cutoff wheel. Cut the outer, pull it off, cut the cage, remove balls and then carefully cut the inner.

If you take the cage apart and move the balls all to one side, you can remove the outer without having to cut it.

I cut if off last weekend. Very minimal damage to the crank but I could see where the inner race and crank had been too good of friends. A very fine file and some emry cloth should take care of it. Thanks guys for the tips. This is just my goof-off-around-camp bike so I wasn't looking forward to sinking another $300+ for a crank.