? for you Chevy 5.3 experts

I have a 2007 Avalanche with the 5.3L. It has about 26,000 miles on it. I know that these motors have a fairly "brisk" fuel injector noise. I have noticed it from the beginning, but the "tick-tick-tick" seems to be getting louder, or my ears are just in a "sensitive and grumpy" mood right now.

I guess I am concerned that I could have a lifter going bad. The noise is most noticable after a cold start. After fully warmed up, the noise is hardly there. I remember reading something about this on one of the Avalanche forums. It seems that most agreed this noise is typical for the Chevy 5.3--what do you all think?

I had an 05 Silverado 5.3. The 'lifter/ticking' noise that is louder when cold is common and nothing to be worried about. At least, that is what I gathered when I researched this same subject a few years ago. It is a similar issue to piston slap. More of an annoyance then anything.

• Like 1

I know the older 5.3s had piston slap issues when cold, but I thought that was fixed. If its under warranty take it in and let them do a quick check. If you find out post it up, my little 5.3l runs like a top, but I have different valve spring and pushrods.

So, I did a ton of reading on this subject. Again, my Avalanche is a 2007. The piston slap issue apparently has been resolved by Chevrolet, so I know it isn't that. What I did find out however, is that on 2007-2009 models with AFM (cylinder de-activation for fuel savings) there have been some problems with the lifters. There is a TSB about this. If you are interested Google TSB PIP4499 (no space between PIP and 4499).