Differences between SM 510's 08-10

The main visual difference is obviously the twin pipes, however these are not to everyones taste ( I personally love em', that's why I converted my 08' to twins) The new versions have these "moulded in" graphics as well.

Engine wise, I believe that there were very minor tweeks to the internal lube system, and the ECU allows the bike to fuel better.

If the difference is 2K, then you could get the power up kit on the older bike and a power commander etc, and still have a grand change:thumbsup:

Which ever way you go, 510's are superb, and you certainly won't regret your purchase

Dave

You obviously have a large budget planned then:jawdrop:

The devils are nice , but very expensive ( and at the time there was a rumour that Devil was going bust). I considered them, but I sourced a full Ti/carbon leo Vince exhaust system with twin pipes for a large chunk cheaper, and seeing as though the factory teams are running them as well now, they can't be bad. The Leo's also come with the 18mm nut welded in the mid pipe as well, which gives you the opportunity to utilize the Autotune (which I am going to do) if you so desire and a nice carbon exhaust guard.

I fear the Devils do not have either ( the Devil's have two seperate pipes running from each exhaust port to each separate silencer)

Good luck:thumbsup:

Dave

The main visual difference is obviously the twin pipes, however these are not to everyones taste ( I personally love em', that's why I converted my 08' to twins)

Dave, it would be awesome if you could elaborate on how you went about converting(parts needed, etc.)? Did it become more quiet without any performance loss?

I have been thinking about doing this, but not sure what all I would need and if it is even worth the effort (I want more stealth = less noise = more aggressive riding with less unwanted attention )

Hi mate, to convert the 2008 to twins', all you need to do is get a right hand side panel from a 2008 SMR450RR (which has twin pipes as standard.That fits perfectly and then fits nicely over the right exhaust can. The standard 510 subframe only has a mounting bracket on the left side as standard, so I got a local engineer to make me another one to fix to the right hand side, in order to mount the other exhaust. He did a great job and it can be either welded, bolted or riveted on with ease.

After that the exhaust fitted perfectly. ๐Ÿ‘

The exhaust are quiter than the Arrow race can that was on the bike before without any performance loss, due to two silencers, but still sound superb. I run mine without the baffle inserts or spark arrestors(which come with the exhausts) and yet it is not really offensive, and within legal limits. (I am a copper in GB)

Whether it is worth it is up to you, I personally love the twin pipe look, and the quality of the Leo's is outstanding. They also have bigger header pipes and midpipe than the standard item ( more potential power me thinks)

I am fitting a PC5 and autotune to mine when it arrives, so that will give perfect fuelling to boot

Good luck mate

Dave

Hi mate, to convert the 2008 to twins', all you need to do is get a right hand side panel from a 2008 SMR450RR (which has twin pipes as standard.That fits perfectly and then fits nicely over the right exhaust can. The standard 510 subframe only has a mounting bracket on the left side as standard, so I got a local engineer to make me another one to fix to the right hand side, in order to mount the other exhaust. He did a great job and it can be either welded, bolted or riveted on with ease.

After that the exhaust fitted perfectly. ๐Ÿ‘

The exhaust are quiter than the Arrow race can that was on the bike before without any performance loss, due to two silencers, but still sound superb. I run mine without the baffle inserts or spark arrestors(which come with the exhausts) and yet it is not really offensive, and within legal limits. (I am a copper in GB)

Whether it is worth it is up to you, I personally love the twin pipe look, and the quality of the Leo's is outstanding. They also have bigger header pipes and midpipe than the standard item ( more potential power me thinks)

I am fitting a PC5 and autotune to mine when it arrives, so that will give perfect fuelling to boot

Good luck mate

Dave

Ohhhh, I don't know why I didn't catch that you were running a full Leo Vince system, I thought just slip-ons. I have been toying with converting with some kind of poor man's version using someones stock pipes, and not sure if the midpipe was all that I needed, or from the exhaust port back. Getting the whole LV system is a lot easier, probably with a bit more performance potential, but a fair chunk of coin. But that is a good way to do it.๐Ÿคฃ I will just keep saving my pennies.

Make sure you update us on the PCV and autotune. I have been thinking of this as well... are you going to get the switch to run multiple maps? That seals the deal for me, if it works right. Have a mapping for fuel savings to get to the hills, then switch over to power mapping and burn all the gas you saved along with some rubber!

Hi, I personally am not bothering with the switchable map, because all I use my bike for is sunny day blasts, so I don't need the fuel saving thing. I am aware that it is very easy to use the PC5 switch though, and for your application, it would be ideal:thumbsup:

I am getting the PC5 and autotune in mid April, so I will update then on the results. I have been advise that even with the appropriate tune, the 2008 510 Husky's run very rich, so I can expect a decent increase accross the rev range and better throttle response to boot! Not that the thing is a bag of nails at the moment!

Dave

Hi, I personally am not bothering with the switchable map, because all I use my bike for is sunny day blasts, so I don't need the fuel saving thing. I am aware that it is very easy to use the PC5 switch though, and for your application, it would be ideal:thumbsup:

I am getting the PC5 and autotune in mid April, so I will update then on the results. I have been advise that even with the appropriate tune, the 2008 510 Husky's run very rich, so I can expect a decent increase accross the rev range and better throttle response to boot! Not that the thing is a bag of nails at the moment!

Dave

OK, so to keep this on topic... no real significant changes other than exhaust? And if you are running PCV with autotune, minor ECU updates are canceled too right?๐Ÿ‘

D@mn you Dave, now I am forced to put +$2000k towards my 2008 SMR and get PCV + autotune, LV ti full exhaust, 2009 plastic, and weld on hanger.๐Ÿ™‚

Hell, may as well spring for the 530cc kit too since all that stuff will keep it fueled properly. I want Husaberg-ish torque now too!๐Ÿคฃ

I was just reading more about the PCV, and an even better use of switchable maps is one for baffles and one without. Run the baffles through the week for the commute to work (keeping the neighbors happy, and the "coppers" off my case), then pull them out for the weekend in the countryside and have optimized maps for both cases.

No matter what, for the original poster... get the 08 and put the savings towards mods or your kids braces. ๐Ÿ‘

I guess that's the beauty of the PC5 and autotune, it gives you the flexibility to run different setups very easily on the hoof:thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, my bike goes well as is, but until you have it set up right you don't know how far out it is. The added expense of the exhaust and PC5 is not absolutely necessary,I'm sure as long as your bike has the "power up mods" (which are necessary) you will love it. However I always want something to perform to its optimum level, and these additions will allow this

The 530 kit would be great,and would work great with the mods I'm sure, but whether you'd get Husaberg torque is another matter ๐Ÿ‘

Dave