Spokane mountaineering pushes-lawsuits to close trails for motorized use

The Spokane mountaineering club is currently pushing to close all the trails in eastern Washington and North Idaho to motorized use.

They have already succeeded last year effectivly getting 50+ miles closed in the Idaho panhandle alone. As for Washington the number is much higher.

This group files a lawsuit claiming that the trails are unsafe and create erosion problems even though they are infact the complete opposite. If not put in check this group will have all of your places of recreation closed for good. There proposal even states that mountain bikes need to be banned as well.

Give them a call and let them know that you do not support there actions. (509) 838-4974 ๐Ÿคฃ:foul:๐Ÿ™‚

Wake up people we are under attack and need to fight this or we will lose our sport for good.

Here are some paragraphs from there website. It is loud and clear what there intentions are.

Designating portions of public lands for non-motorized use: Mountaineer representatives have been diligently pressing for trails/areas to be set aside specifically for non-motorized users by attending forest planning meetings for Idaho's Panhandle and Kootenai forests and Washington's Colville forest. Several of the other activity committees have been involved. Suggestions for off-road vehicle (ORV) use are part of the process. To insure non-motorized representation in the face of overwhelming attendance by ORV users, a Board resolution to develop a club policy and process to improve Mountaineer involvement by all activity committees (e.g. climbers, hikers, skiers, paddlers) was presented to the Board for approval

Save Mt Spokane from Ski Area Expansion: Jeff Lambert and John Roskelley are working with the Save Mt Spokane coalition to work to prevent the west side Mt. Spokane Ski Area expansion and work for the new lodge. See the website for more information http://www.SaveMtSpokane.com and to sign our petition.

Wilderness acquisition: Through representation on and support for both the Eastern Washington Wilderness Campaign working group and statewide "Wild Washington" campaign, efforts continued to secure federal wilderness designation for areas such as the Kettle Crest, Abercrombie, Selkirk Crest extension and many more areas locally. Though attempts to meet locally with U.S. Rep. Nethercutt have failed, the conservation committee met with Larry Sheehan, a candidate to replace Nethercutt, to explain wilderness benefits. We plan to have similar informational sessions for the other four announced candidates for the 5th District Congressional seat.

โ€ขLocation: idaho and washington

:applause::foul:๐Ÿ‘:jawdrop::foul:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spokane mountaineering club is currently pushing to close all the trails in eastern Washington and North Idaho to motorized use.

They have already succeeded last year effectivly getting 50+ miles closed in the Idaho panhandle alone. As for Washington the number is much higher.

This group files a lawsuit claiming that the trails are unsafe and create erosion problems even though they are infact the complete opposite. If not put in check this group will have all of your places of recreation closed for good. There proposal even states that mountain bikes need to be banned as well.

Give them a call and let them know that you do not support there actions. (509) 838-4974 ๐Ÿคฃ:foul:๐Ÿ™‚

Wake up people we are under attack and need to fight this or we will lose our sport for good.

Here are some paragraphs from there website. It is loud and clear what there intentions are.

Designating portions of public lands for non-motorized use: Mountaineer representatives have been diligently pressing for trails/areas to be set aside specifically for non-motorized users by attending forest planning meetings for Idaho's Panhandle and Kootenai forests and Washington's Colville forest. Several of the other activity committees have been involved. Suggestions for off-road vehicle (ORV) use are part of the process. To insure non-motorized representation in the face of overwhelming attendance by ORV users, a Board resolution to develop a club policy and process to improve Mountaineer involvement by all activity committees (e.g. climbers, hikers, skiers, paddlers) was presented to the Board for approval

Save Mt Spokane from Ski Area Expansion: Jeff Lambert and John Roskelley are working with the Save Mt Spokane coalition to work to prevent the west side Mt. Spokane Ski Area expansion and work for the new lodge. See the website for more information http://www.SaveMtSpokane.com and to sign our petition.

Wilderness acquisition: Through representation on and support for both the Eastern Washington Wilderness Campaign working group and statewide "Wild Washington" campaign, efforts continued to secure federal wilderness designation for areas such as the Kettle Crest, Abercrombie, Selkirk Crest extension and many more areas locally. Though attempts to meet locally with U.S. Rep. Nethercutt have failed, the conservation committee met with Larry Sheehan, a candidate to replace Nethercutt, to explain wilderness benefits. We plan to have similar informational sessions for the other four announced candidates for the 5th District Congressional seat.

โ€ขLocation: idaho and washington

:applause::foul:๐Ÿ‘:jawdrop::foul:

WOW....I was a member of this club when I lived in Spokane! Good times and frankly, good people. I was in the minority in my opinion on multiple use, but I wasn't aware they'd gone so anti-ORV in the meantime. I'll look it up to see if they guys and gals I know are still involved (its been 5 years since I moved)

Ugh....harder than I thought. Found the old directors email addy (we climbed a few mountains together) but I'm dismayed, frankly. These were people I quite literally put my life into their hands. If you've ever climbed a mountain you know how much trust you need in your rope team. And yet.....here we are.

I've ridden the east side of Lake Pend O'Reille and it's littered with very nice challenging single track. I hope these aren't poised for their selfish closure.๐Ÿคฃ

Chewelah ski area folks are working that angle ๐Ÿ‘ Most don't even live there all year. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have attended many Forest Service and DNR meetings over the past few years as a representative of PANTRA. The Mountaineers are well organized and want to turn many of the trails into non-motorized and some areas as stated above into wilderness. These individuals are disruptive to the meeting are are not willing to give and inch. They will tie them up with nonsense and not allow the process to be worked through making the public meeting a waste of time. When it comes to public comment periods they are very good at organizing letters and getting them sent in.

The mountaneers were successfull after many years of lobbying in closing Chilco and Magee Peak trails among others out of the Couerd Alane area for this years motor vehicle use map. Chilco was maintained with grant money from ORV taxes. Now it is non-motorized. We lost 42 miles of single track in just this one example. Its happening everywhere!

We need to do a better job as the ORV community of banding together and attending meetings and writing letters during public comment periods. Its the only way we will have a chance.

Join your local dirtbike club and get involved in the process to save our sport.

In my opinion it is simply easier for land managers to turn to the leave no trace option because they don't have the resources to manage it. Although the boot packers often claim their philosophy better represents the wilderness, I would disagree. I spent about ten years living in their camp, climbing and skiing exclusively as my sole activities. I see it now as ONE way to experience what this amazing resource has to offer, and see no reason why with better management it can't be properly enjoyed by all.

Cyclists in the area are under the same attack by the same organizations. There are many miles of singletrack open to mountain biking that will also fall under a wilderness designation. The cyclist camp has recently squandered valuable resources building bike parks under highways, and scratching out scraps of land from King County and various organizations partly because I think fundamentally the majority of them aren't competent, strong, or visionary enough to pedal uphill for hour upon hour to get to the good stuff.

Or maybe because the bicycle lacks the strengths of a moto. Namely the range and power to cover vast distances in rough terrain. Almost everyone I know who was a DH mountain biker who got on a moto can hardly bring themselves to go back to the bike. Still there are those out there who have the gumption to pedal, heave, pull, and push a bike up miles of trail that would take a moto a quarter of the time to cover. I would attempt to approach them into making some kind of usage deal where each side agrees to band together against a powerful misguided exclusionist lobby. So far that camp seems unwilling to push too far to one side or the other, but I know for a fact the WTA has been making inroads with IMBA and Evergreen through small token gestures. Thus far the QVID PRO NIHIL has been relatively one sided. I am waiting for the shoe to drop and WTA to call in their markers. Forming a relationship with 2 wheeled creatures makes more sense than not.

Forming a relationship with 2 wheeled creatures makes more sense than not.

Agreed. When's the last time the mtb crowd has attacked us? Admit it. When you see their scoots you wanna check them out and when they see ours they wanna sniff around too. Sorta like dogs really. ๐Ÿ‘

I hate to say this but, until we get a lobbist to work for us, we will see our trails get taken away more and more! You have to have someone in the capitol everyday fighting for us and that cost money. Until everyone realizes this we do not have a chance!

Because they do have someone in the every capitol of every state. It might not be them, but it is someone just like them, and we have no one!

I hate to say this but, until we get a lobbist to work for us, we will see our trails get taken away more and more! You have to have someone in the capitol everyday fighting for us and that cost money. Until everyone realizes this we do not have a chance!

Because they do have someone in the every capitol of every state. It might not be them, but it is someone just like them, and we have no one!

Abolish the ripped off NOVA fund and have NMA hold the funds. Charge $100 per year and have NMA grant money to USFS and DNR for trail work/patrol. Hopefully enough is left over to have someone worm around the capitol like the anti's have theirs.

Have NMA represent Idaho Oregon Washington and Montana. ๐Ÿ‘

Abolish the ripped off NOVA fund and have NMA hold the funds. Charge $100 per year and have NMA grant money to USFS and DNR for trail work/patrol. Hopefully enough is left over to have someone worm around the capitol like the anti's have theirs.

Have NMA represent Idaho Oregon Washington and Montana.๐Ÿคฃ

๐Ÿ‘

We certianly don't have a daily presence in Olympia and it would help alot.

We do have lobbyist friends that are there every day, but they do not work directly for the NMA or WOHVA.

Lobbyists are a funny bunch. Good ones are hard to find and don't come cheap. There are cheap ones, but in my opinion they require more oversight than they are worth.