Sign in to follow this  

Advanced Carbon Fiber Mold making........

To make a mold of something is fairly easy..... Just wax....film it....cover with Composites....let harden....remove....done...... But.... What if you wan`t to alter the mold.....Build it up....etc..... That`s when the extra curricular fun..🤣:banana: So I thought I`d post up how I do this. The particular subject is a header of unknown origin...... Somewhere in the Socal area.....🙂😏 All right......I thought that there is more to a heat shield than the practical part....and when I extended the front to cover more header..... It did not follow a parallel line of the header....... So how to build it is really up to you,,,,,modeling clay......clay......what ever you can think of....

I use a 2 component epoxy clay....that can be molded, and have the consistency of .....well.......clay. Dry`s to a 10000 psi handling strength chunk of goodness....... Works very well. This can be done to anything that you want to build up. Here we go....... Header is covered in parafilm......2 layers...let dry 30 minutes before casting........

IMG_0230-1.jpg

Then the idea is to make a even height piece of clay....This is how I did it.....

IMG_0229-1.jpg

Then mixed the clay 1:1........

IMG_0231-1.jpg

IMG_0237-1.jpg

Then said clay piece is being laid on top of the header........

IMG_0238-1.jpg

IMG_0239-1.jpg

Next day.....Comes off.......and you now have a cast of the exact piece.....

Just 10mm higher.......

IMG_0240-1.jpg

IMG_0241-1.jpg

Next is cutting and shaping, and then use this to make a mold from........

To be continued........👍:thumbsup:

Erling

• Like 1

At this point I would not be surprised if you tried to Carbon Fiber you Gonads!

🤣:applause:🙂

Thanks for sharing the ideas and it's neat to see something that I probably will never do but none the less it serves a great learning tool for those who have the materials to do this. Love the Carbon threads and I'm sure this will be another great one. 👍:thumbsup:

🤣:applause:🙂

Nice work... but I think that would be itchy. 👍

:applause::crazy::jawdrop:

Thanks for sharing the ideas and it's neat to see something that I probably will never do but none the less it serves a great learning tool for those who have the materials to do this. Love the Carbon threads and I'm sure this will be another great one. 👍:thumbsup:

It`s a honor to contribute to this forum...... Only thing is....I don`t know much of the deep Z stuff.....But perhaps I can contribute in this somewhat other matter...:cheers::ride:

Gonads.......ehh.... ohhh. well.... gotta go..... starparty in our backyards.....Mars is giant tonight.....top and right of the moon.....wine......🤣

Gonna be a great night......🙂👍

Erling

Nice work... but I think that would be itchy. 👍

But bullet proof......🙂😏

🤣👍

Erling

After the epoxy clay is hardened....... It is cut to a rough size with a band saw........Here is it ...next to the 2`nd generation shield..............

IMG_0242-1.jpg

On the bike for some more rough`ing in...............

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

It is following the contour of the pipe very nice....... It`s currently having a top coat of epoxy applied........👍:thumbsup:

Erling

I'm liking every change you have done. Can't wait to see the final of the 3rd gen. guard.

I'm liking every change you have done. Can't wait to see the final of the 3rd gen. guard.

Thanks.....It was really bothering me that the front part did`nt follow the pipe when it tapered in. All I could hear was rockmonster saying...." IT`S GONNA GET SNAGGED"......🤣:lol: I always strive to make things better, and it`s kind of funny.....But 3`rd time really is a charm....well....at least for me.....👍:thumbsup:

Erling

I think your pastry is gonna taste funny!

Just pray it won`t leave you sideways.....🤣😏

👍:thumbsup:

Erling

Hi Erling !!

Time to drop the piloting ,and get a real job as a moulder of cf ??

Looks like you got the skills and the interest ??

Allways good to live of a hobby 👍

Hi Erling !!

Time to drop the piloting ,and get a real job as a moulder of cf ??

Looks like you got the skills and the interest ??

Allways good to live of a hobby 🙂

Thanks Steinar...... When I was in that business 25 years ago in Denmark.....It was all polyester, and after a couple of styrene headaches I decided that my braincells were not to throw away just like that. So I left that arena after building sailboats, and 50meter wings for the windmill industry. Went into the Danish air force for 6 years as a tech fixing the radar`s in the Danish air defense system....which led me here....flying them ....rather than shooting`em down. The perfection of epoxy`s...( almost) might save a retirement hobby because of the lesser volatility of the fumes. So perhaps one day in a cool Colorado mountain town, I could set up a little shop.......Next to my espresso bar......and Mountain bike shop......🤣😏

Erling

Thanks Steinar...... When I was in that business 25 years ago in Denmark.....It was all polyester, and after a couple of styrene headaches I decided that my braincells were not to throw away just like that. So I left that arena after building sailboats, and 50meter wings for the windmill industry. Went into the Danish air force for 6 years as a tech fixing the radar`s in the Danish air defense system....which led me here....flying them ....rather than shooting`em down. The perfection of epoxy`s...( almost) might save a retirement hobby because of the lesser volatility of the fumes. So perhaps one day in a cool Colorado mountain town, I could set up a little shop.......Next to my espresso bar......and Mountain bike shop......🤣😏

Erling

He-He.. Know what you say.. My company used to own a paint-factory..

Plenty of funny people there..

BTW., looks like we are taking of the market for the BIG wind mills here, A norwegian company got the deal on the BIG park outside Uk....

He-He.. Know what you say.. My company used to own a paint-factory..

Plenty of funny people there..

BTW., looks like we are taking of the market for the BIG wind mills here, A norwegian company got the deal on the BIG park outside Uk....

Nice..... Ironically ...It was those same wings that made me think that monotome work....Like the endless yard`age of composites that got me started thinking about smaller custom work. Our hardest part of the job was to keep people focused equally through out the 50 meters of layup.

Even with ventilation and chem respirators....styrene is a formidable opponent.

Erling

Nice..... Ironically ...It was those same wings that made me think that monotome work....Like the endless yard`age of composites that got me started thinking about smaller custom work. Our hardest part of the job was to keep people focused equally through out the 50 meters of layup.

Even with ventilation and chem respirators....styrene is a formidable opponent.

Erling

Too bad , you have the skills and interest.🤣

On the other hand , chem is not to fool about , probably safer in the air..🙂

Too bad , you have the skills and interest.👍

On the other hand , chem is not to fool about , probably safer in the air..🙂

:applause:😏...............

🤣👍

Erling

So today it was given one more and final coat of epoxy.........

But first it was sanded with 120 grit.......to a smooth uniform shape.......

IMG_0248-1.jpg

Then the final layer of epoxy.......

IMG_0250-1.jpg

I cant stress enough the patience needed here...... You want to make absolutely sure that the puck ( to cast the mold from) is 100% free of defects..... Smooth.....no bubbles....etc... Trust me it pays off to go the extra mile here....rather than fixing the mold later........

Till then......👍:thumbsup:

Erling

And the results.......after 120...220...320...600...2000 grit sanding....buffing.....

A beautiful flawless surface to cast from.......

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Erling