Advanced Carbon Fiber Mold making........

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

You can use Bondo and plaster of paris alternately to make positives and negatives to your liking. I used to do tons of molds at my old job, and you can get great results on the cheap with: Bondo,plaster , plastascene( oil clay) and paraffin wax. .

• 1 year later...

nice work you should look into building a basic vacuum bagging system, I think you will find it pretty easy to make honestly...

Thanks.

Got one, but rarely using it. Just did finish this one though, using bagging.

IMG_6287_zpsknsw6kg7.jpg

• Like 2

nice work you should look into building a basic vacuum bagging system, I think you will find it pretty easy to make honestly...

Thanks..... ?

I find that unless I need high strength in a structural layup, it is easier to ninja a bagless project. It is however fun.... Messy, but fun.

?

Erling

• Like 1

Nice work ebrabaek. I think of you every time I fire up the DRZ (I have your choke knob)

DRC mount and plate holder is doing fine too!

Thanks William. It is good to hear that they are still holding. ?

Erling

nice work, the carbon storage is slick...water tight too?

Thanks.

I have not tried to submerge them, but with a weather tight foam seal on the top, and a dual flange on the lid, it sure passed the splash test. I dont think I am allowed to cross thread to the forum where the build was published, but you can find my FB link here on my TT info. In there is the links to the builds.

IMG_5805_zpspaebthmr.jpg

Thanks.

I have not tried to submerge them, but with a weather tight foam seal on the top, and a dual flange on the lid, it sure passed the splash test. I dont think I am allowed to cross thread to the forum where the build was published, but you can find my FB link here on my TT info. In there is the links to the builds.

You are more than welcome to post a link to a build thread or another thread. What you cannot do is make identical threads in two places, IE, In the jetting forum ask about setting up your fcr and then the same thread in the DRZ one. If... you saw a thread in the jetting forum and you knew there was a thread in the DRZ forum that answers that Q, you are more than welcome to post a link.

Make sense?

You are more than welcome to post a link to a build thread or another thread. What you cannot do is make identical threads in two places, IE, In the jetting forum ask about setting up your fcr and then the same thread in the DRZ one. If... you saw a thread in the jetting forum and you knew there was a thread in the DRZ forum that answers that Q, you are more than welcome to post a link.

Make sense?

Ahhhh.... Thanks Will.

That does make sense. Linky coming shortly.

Where do you get your carbon fiber cloth and other materials to make these. I've been wanting to learn and figured I could buy some and goof around learning trying to make parts for the Z.
  • Like 1

Where do you get your carbon fiber cloth and other materials to make these. I've been wanting to learn and figured I could buy some and goof around learning trying to make parts for the Z.

I get the cloth from this place. Usually get the discounted 40 inch 2x2 twill....

http://uscomposites.com/shortroll.html

I get the epoxy from here.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VACUUM-INFUSION-EPOXY-RESIN-VERY-THIN-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-FAST-INFUSION-FAST-INFUSION-/221037444081?hash=item3376dbbbf1

You can really get it from anywhere. The CF are more standardized than the epoxy. There are a lot of bad polymers on the market, and it is best you are familiar with the people making them or use recommendations from people you trust. Nothing like a project you have cared for for 100 hrs, breaking down as the bonding is not holding up.

?

Erling

• Like 2

I get the cloth from this place. Usually get the discounted 40 inch 2x2 twill....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VACUUM-INFUSION-EPOXY-RESIN-VERY-THIN-CRYSTAL-CLEAR-FAST-INFUSION-FAST-INFUSION-/221037444081?hash=item3376dbbbf1

You can really get it from anywhere. The CF are more standardized than the epoxy. There are a lot of bad polymers on the market, and it is best you are familiar with the people making them or use recommendations from people you trust. Nothing like a project you have cared for for 100 hrs, breaking down as the bonding is not holding up.

?

Erling

Thanks! Yeah, that's why I figured I would ask considering you've done good work on all of your projects!

?

Erling

So while snooping YouTube for carbon fiber techniques I found your youtube and I also found that you created your own exhaust for the gs? Looked prettier awesome. How did it hold up? How did you go about attaching the end cap to the shell and the shell to the midpipe?