Sign in to follow this  

2001 RM250 exhaust valve solenoid?

Hi guys!

I posted this in the suzuki 2 stroke forum and didn't quite get the answer I was looking for so I decided to try here. Hope you don't mind.

I recently serviced my power valve and my owners manual said to also check the exhaust valve solenoid so I did and I found it all rusted and seized. Once I finally got it apart I realized there was no saving it. I ordered a new one for $95.00! I would greatly appreciate an explanation of exactly what this thing does. It's a 2 wire solenoid that mounts to the frame under the fuel tank. It has 2 vacuum ports. 1 goes to the cylinder just rearward of the exhaust valve and the other runs down the right frame tube and vents to atmosphere. I'm thinking of running the vent into the airbox where it might not pick up as much water. What do you think? The solenoid I'm refering to is #24 in this diagram.

Thanks!

Edited by shovelit
Edited to add link to diagram

I am not 100% sure but I think it shuts of the hose to the atmosphere at high rpm when the valves are fully open. MY yz125 does this by having the powervalves themself close off the holes when the open fully. not sure what the advantage is but would guess this is what it does. you dont need to vent to air box as it does not suck in air it blows out exhaust air.