Sign in to follow this  

Dipstick Removal While Engine Running ?

Just wondering...what would happen if you tried to remove the dipstick while the engine was running?

Nothing much I would have thought. Oil is being pumped up into the frame while the engine is running so perhaps you might get a bit of a splash or bubbling going on - can't say I have tried it though.

haha so funny, reminds me of being a kid, we couldn't get the lawn mower running, my dad went to go look at the oil and i pulled on the cord at the same time. sure enough the oil came flying out and splashed him on his face. he was so pissed, i think i got a beaten for that one! lol

ztango - nothing much happens. No splash, no drama. Not the same as a lawn mower.

Just wondering...what would happen if you tried to remove the dipstick while the engine was running?

Nothing will happen. Remove it at idle and bring the RPM's up slightly, you will then see oil pumping, this indicates that the oil screens are not pluged.

I forgot to tighten my dip stick and I lost it on the highway somewhere. I drove it for 80 miles unitll i could find some place that i could buy a rubber plug to stick in the hole. I guess nothing happens when you take the dip stick out.

You'll be wanting to put your eye real close to the opening so you can get a good look at what the oil's doing. This also helps restrict where the oil goes... lol

My riding bud says the oil sprays out. I have resisted seeing for myself.

I'm told it'll suck all the spare change out of your pockets...