Sign in to follow this  

Desperate - drove 9 hrs and 200 won't start

Guys - I could use some help here. I drove 9 hrs to West Virginia and my bike won't start.

Here is the story.

Bike ran fine before trailering down - but it's new to me - only had it out 3 times

After our 9 hour drive I pulled it off the trailer, kicked 4 times and it started fine

Ran a little smokey, but after 3 minutes I killed it with kill switch

got dressed and the dang thing will not start

Pulled plug and it was wet, but coffee brown

installed new plug (it was from the prev owner, may be used) nothing

pulled carb - pulled main and pilot jets, cleaned AGAIN and replaced - na da

Fuel does drain from over flow tube periodically but I removed the floats and needle and cleaned needle seat

Checked about 10 times - I do have spark

Plug is always wet when I pull it

Gas is completely fresh - less than a week old

I rode the bike late last year and it ran and started fine.

I hope praying it's a bad plug and needs a NEW plug - again, I am not 100% sure my spares are new, or just well cleaned.

I tried with choke on and off - a very slight bit a throttle, no throttle, full throttle. I tried starting fluid and nothing.

I already lost one day of riding - I am sooo frustrated!!!

Any thoughts??????

i reckon it may be running a bit rich, lean it off a little bit with the mixture screw, or drop your needle down a notch and try that......im guessing the altitude has changed a bit and has thrown out your jetting

I would also double check the kill switch to make sure it didn't stick half way in, had that happen a few times on other bikes that prevented starting. Good Luck.

I don't mean for this to sound insulting and please don't take it the wrong way, but I have witnessed several times the simple overlooking of turning on the petcock.

The bike ran when you got it, you have riden it a few times, it started up when you got there for about 5 minutes or so while you geared up, its getting spark, the plug is wet etc... if not the petcock then I would remove the plug and put your finger over the sparkplug hole and kick it over. If it pops and you can feel compression then the three things that you need (fuel, spark and compression) are present. The only other thing that I can think of is that when you opened the carb mabe one of the jets wasn't tightend down properly and has worked loose. I can't think of any other explanation.

Good luck!

what bike is it

i dont know about the petcock not turned on because if the plugs wet it must be getting fuel.

just because a plug sparks on a head doesnt mean its all good

if its a 2 stroke, it could just be really flooded if it was running very smoky, normally a few revs clears em out, but i cant think of why it would just quit

check the kill switch, i think that could be the cause of it just quitting, even if it has spark, still check it

is the airfilter blocked somehow, sorry for the silly questions, buy no harm in checking

No hills around big enough for pop starting? My experience is that anything will start after having 2nd gear turning over for a couple hundred feet. The bad cases die at the bottom of the hill but sometimes firing for a couple seconds clears'em out.

If it's the KTM, check the float level. Set it so fuel spills out only when bike tipped 40-45 degrees over. If float level too high it causes flooding and the fuel/air mix to be too rich. Also, again if it's the KTM, your air screw may be turned in too far - this causes fuel/air mix to be too rich.

thanks for the responses.

If the plug is getting spark, I have check 9 times, can't I rule out the kill switch?

Also - I see some responses that it may be running rich. I have both air screws (black plastic and small brass) out about 1.5 turns. Is this fine?

I have a recluse - so I can not bump start.

I have a blue JD needle on the 3rd clip.

I am on my way to get a new plug. I will cross my fingers.

dang! new plug. nothing. I have the carb pulled again. Will pull the jets again.

Lowered the clip on the needle to the 4th position - it was on this position when I bought it.

Testing the kill switch - I assume if I am getting spark with a pulled plug- it's not faulty.....right?

There is something I noticed. I have a recluse clutch. I can not feel the gears change when I lift or lower the gear shifter by hand or foot. It moves about 1/2 the normal travel, but I don't get the clicking feedback indicating it's shifting. I just serviced the clutch pack. Any chance it's "in gear" and not moving the piston fast enough to fire? THE REKLUSE is a complex unit I know - I can roll the bike freely and it does not surge forward when kicking.

Anyhow - thanks for all your help - this really, really sucks!

I know this may sound silly to check but it has happened to me a couple times from people standing around looking at the bike. Check to see if the throttle cable is pulled out and not seated at the throttle body on the handle bars. Pull the cable back by hand and as the spring pulls it back into the body make sure it doesn't hang up before it seats all the way in. What happens is you are trying to start the bike but basically the throttle is wide open and it wont fire. You would not believe how easy it is to overlook this. Its the first thing I check now if my bike wont fire right away.

Turn the gas line off. Lay the bike over at varying angles and let it drain the the fuel out of the carb. Lean bbike back up, kick her over with the fuel still off try to get it to fire with the choke on no throttle. If no luck turn the gas back on and keep trying with the choke on no throttle. If no luck you have an issue, its not flooded, not fouled etc.

Turn the gas line off. Lay the bike over at varying angles and let it drain the the fuel out of the carb. Lean bbike back up, kick her over with the fuel still off try to get it to fire with the choke on no throttle. If no luck turn the gas back on and keep trying with the choke on no throttle. If no luck you have an issue, its not flooded, not fouled etc.

Re the air screw and idle screw settings - 1.5 turns out is not necessarily correct. It all depends on the bike's jetting. Turn the air screw out to 2.5 turns as this will lean the fuel/air mix and might help starting, then once going (hopefully) get it warmed up and adjust properly as per manual. Re the idle speed screw - again, 1.5 turns out is not necessarily correct.

the saga has ended. I am happy!

So, the shift lever was stuck and hitting the frame when I tried downshifting. So, the thought was that the bike was stuck in 5th gear. With the rekluse, it was hard to tell since I could easily push the bike. I brought it to Hatfield McCoy powersports and the great mechanic picked up on it right away. He pulled the shifter off, put it on, a bit higher this time and was able to shift it into nuetral. Fired up eventually!!!!

Loaded it back on the trailer and hit the trails. Awesome trails and I am so relieved. I really appreciate everyones help here!!

Mike

That happened when my dad first installed his rekluse as well, never thought that would keep it from starting though, hmm. Then again, I'm not that smart haha

This ought to be posted as a sticky for the guys who got the Rekulse clutch. BTW-Didn't the green neutral switch come on to let you know the bike was in neutral? Just messin' with ya.

Nice one....glad it was something simple and you've been having good rides!