Sign in to follow this  

airbox cover keeps coming off

I can't keep the stupid thing on my 2004 200sx, I've tried messing with the prongs but I can't get it right. What is the way these prongs have to be bent. It feels like it will stay on but then I'll give the seat a hit and the cover pops off. I tried searching 20 different ways

It doesn't sound like you are getting the D-clips in all the way. They may feel like they are in when they aren't. You need to push one in all the way and when you turn it, pull a little to very you got it locked in. Keep this up till it locks in, then repeat with the other. Most likely, you aren't getting the clip deep enough in to lock into the nut part. Good Luck.

no this is the unit that just pushes in and self locks, no turning required. It slides into tabs that are supposed to only release the cover with a certain amount of force (Your hand pulling with a little omph) and not while riding.

I have the same bike (and 2 other later ones that are the same). it still sounds like it's not getting fully seated, or else you've damaged it somehow. I've never once seen one of those things come off, and we've surely done our best over 20,000 or more riding miles.

It's easy to get the lid hung up on the seat and not fully seated. you might try taking the seat off and watching what you're doing and seeing if it seats more fully. On tresa's bike, I have to kinda pull the edge of the seat up and away so i can slide the edge of the airbox lid underneath it. Otherwise it won't fully seat.

With my '05 EXC I had the same problem, in deed the upper retainer wouldn't clip just by aligning the cover and pushing, I just ended up removing the seat as part of regular air filter maintenance to make sure the cover was properly installed.

On my '09 SX they've improved the design and fit, now it's actually possible to put back the cover with the seat on, so my recommandation is you get a newer bike 👍

I have the same bike (and 2 other later ones that are the same). it still sounds like it's not getting fully seated, or else you've damaged it somehow. I've never once seen one of those things come off, and we've surely done our best over 20,000 or more riding miles.

It's easy to get the lid hung up on the seat and not fully seated. you might try taking the seat off and watching what you're doing and seeing if it seats more fully. On tresa's bike, I have to kinda pull the edge of the seat up and away so i can slide the edge of the airbox lid underneath it. Otherwise it won't fully seat.

Mine is pretty much like that. I would add that doing it with the seat off helped me to be able to get it snapped with the seat on.

Just to expand on damage. That could be worn detents on the plastic or bad anchors in the air box. They aren't hard to replace. I wouldn't expect much success with bending them. You need the rivets (I think they come with it or are available in the P/L) and a pop rivet puller.

Gary