Sign in to follow this  

Bike Wont Start - Rain Maybe Involved

My KLX 450 R wont start. I started it up (first push of the button) rode our of the garage and down the to road to meet a friends. When I got to are meeting place, he was late. I waited about 30 minutes. During that time it started raining. When he arrived, the bike would start.

I tried, starter, kick start and jump starting the bike. It's almost like it has a short.

No I got the bike back to the garage... but it still wont start.

Any ideas? Help!

Check the stator connector behind the left rad...the female end points straight up and acts like a rain catch...unplug it...dry it w/ contact cleaner and pack it full of dielectric grease...in fact...not a bad idea to do ALL the electrical connections. Mine is a bear to start after washing, but hasn't been too bad as of late since i repacked the connections.

Check the stator connector behind the left rad...the female end points straight up and acts like a rain catch...unplug it...dry it w/ contact cleaner and pack it full of dielectric grease...in fact...not a bad idea to do ALL the electrical connections. Mine is a bear to start after washing, but hasn't been too bad as of late since i repacked the connections.

Any idea what color that wire is? Did yours not start? Mine cranks like a son of a gun but wont fire over.

Any idea what color that wire is? Did yours not start?

The mian stator connector is a multi-wire plug (four or five wires). But you can't miss it if you remove the left side rad cover. It even has it's own bracket to keep it pointing skyward and consistently catching water. Although it does have an o-ring seal, which made me surprised to hear it's so problematic.

After you dry and grease it, best to re-orient it, instead of snapping it back over the bracket. Mine now sits upsidedown. I used a couple of cable ties to keep it re-oriented like that.

👍

This was one of the first things I did when I got my KLX450. I used an old bicycle tube, cut off about a 5 inch length, pulled is over both sides, added some silicone on the sides and cable ties and sealed the connector for good.

This was one of the first things I did when I got my KLX450. I used an old bicycle tube, cut off about a 5 inch length, pulled is over both sides, added some silicone on the sides and cable ties and sealed the connector for good.

Great idea!👍