Sign in to follow this  

Steering stabilizer??

It's like a shock absorber for your handlebar / headstem. it reduces the force of rocks,ruts,and sharp hits from transferring up to you. If you ever hit unexpected rocks at high speed and find your handlebars turning really fast(scary)? stabilizers reduce this tremendously and cut down on fatigue in really rough terrain. They help me a bit in really deep sand also. I often wonder if it was worth the price tag but I think it was. One of these days Ill take it off for a day and see.

I have also become a believer. My current bike rails corners and my race results have improved greatly, but the bike would sometimes scare the crap out of me in the open and fast areas (in harescrambles). I finally bought a stabilizer and took the bike out, and my first impression was that it was not doing anything--I could not really feel it. So then I took it off and went for a ride--WOW! I could not believe the difference. The stabilizer really allows the bike to track over the really gnarly stuff everywhere, and it also eliminates the high speed instability that was the original problem.

If you decide to buy one, and you have more than one bike, make sure you buy a model that can be switched easily from bike to bike. You won't want to ride without it.

i have had a suspension job done to my bike already, i was just curious...i read abouty some models and how they have different adjustments, what are you adjusting??

i have had a suspension job done to my bike already, i was just curious...i read abouty some models and how they have different adjustments, what are you adjusting??

You're adjusting how much dampening, just like on your suspension where you adjust comp and rebound. You can set it up with light dampening just to take the shock out of big hits, but yet keep the bars easy to work back and forth like when you're in tight 1st and 2nd gear single track, or stiffen up the dampening for hauling across open desert and are worried about that big hit that might jerk the handlebars out of your hands.

Were can i get a stabilizer for a 2003 yz250f? Are they all $450 - $500?? 👍

yup. some are even more than 500$..

I've had questions also about a stabilizer and this is the place to ask. The other day I was riding some tight singletrack, caught the side of a tree with my handguard and drove off of a boulder and went for a hell of a ride. If i would have had a stabilizer on, would I have been forced off the trail as bad or would I have just bobbled a bit?

I think I have an extra scotts stabilizer I would let go of. PM me if you are interested.

I know I have an extra mount for a CRF450, XR400, YZ400 and maybe a DRZ400.

I've had questions also about a stabilizer and this is the place to ask. The other day I was riding some tight singletrack, caught the side of a tree with my handguard and drove off of a boulder and went for a hell of a ride. If i would have had a stabilizer on, would I have been forced off the trail as bad or would I have just bobbled a bit?

I doubt it would help in a situation there you hit something with your bars. You might be able to regain control a little if you were going fast though. They are great but they're not magic. For me I notice it helping me when Im going fast in rough stuff. Going slow through rocks I turn it way down so I dont have to fight the stabilizer.

rode my 1st GP yesterday with my new Scotts. The course had lots of whoops and tons of rocks. Lots of really choppy braking bumps as well. The stabilizer was worth every penny. There were times out there that I would have glady paid $1000 for it. Saved my butt numerous times.

I doubt it would help in a situation there you hit something with your bars.

But you'd be worng there. It will keep from turning the bars long enough to re-gain your control, although you may have to slam on some brakes. 👍

I have a Scotts and like the adjustability. Scotts have adjustable high speed damping, low speed damping, and sweep. The "R" models dampen steering away from center and return to center. The off road versions only dampen going away from center, no damping on return to center.

To me they make the bike feel "bigger", less distracted by bumps.

I agree with everyone elses statements, I would definatly pay the money for one or look for a used one. They pay off for saving your butt plenty of times. If I were to get a new bike it would be the 2nd thing to go on. 1st: trials tire, but thats a different story.

I agree with everyone elses statements, I would definatly pay the money for one or look for a used one. They pay off for saving your butt plenty of times. If I were to get a new bike it would be the 2nd thing to go on. 1st: trials tire, but thats a different story.

How are trials tires in the sand and what kind of life do you get out of them. Ive been thinking of trying one out.