Sign in to follow this  

Honda XR350 and Edelbrock carb

Ok I slapped in a Edelbrock Qwiksilver 2 carb in my XR350. It is a pumper series carb. It was running and I was trying to tune it with the red knob on top. I have to open the throttle up all the way to push the red knob down to tune it. I was then reading the Edelbrock instructions and it said don't open the throttle all the way when the bike is warm or it will flood on the pumper series. Well I did that when I was tuning it before I read that. How the hell are you supposed to tune it then?

Anyway all the sudden the bike died while riding it. Now it will fire and die. I tried clearing the cylinder by opening the throttle and holding open the decompression dealie...and kicking through 8-10 times. The Edelbrock instructions says to do this when it is flooded.

However, I can't get it to run now. It still fires and dies. Any ideas?

Ok I slapped in a Edelbrock Qwiksilver 2 carb in my XR350. It is a pumper series carb. It was running and I was trying to tune it with the red knob on top. I have to open the throttle up all the way to push the red knob down to tune it. I was then reading the Edelbrock instructions and it said don't open the throttle all the way when the bike is warm or it will flood on the pumper series. Well I did that when I was tuning it before I read that. How the hell are you supposed to tune it then?

Anyway all the sudden the bike died while riding it. Now it will fire and die. I tried clearing the cylinder by opening the throttle and holding open the decompression dealie...and kicking through 8-10 times. The Edelbrock instructions says to do this when it is flooded.

However, I can't get it to run now. It still fires and dies. Any ideas?

ok. don't wack the throttle open when you are tuning it, just slowly roll it up to full throttle and then do the adjustment. I have done it on the side of a trail; just shut it off, open it slowly, do the adjustment and fire it up.

it sounds like your not getting good fuel flow to the carb. Try holding it wide open without the decompression. I have flooded my bike, and just held it wide open and it has fired up, granted it revved to the moon for a second, but it started. Also, if it floods and your not in a hurry, just let it sit and let the gas evaporate out a bit. it helps a ton.

ok. don't wack the throttle open when you are tuning it, just slowly roll it up to full throttle and then do the adjustment. I have done it on the side of a trail; just shut it off, open it slowly, do the adjustment and fire it up.

it sounds like your not getting good fuel flow to the carb. Try holding it wide open without the decompression. I have flooded my bike, and just held it wide open and it has fired up, granted it revved to the moon for a second, but it started. Also, if it floods and your not in a hurry, just let it sit and let the gas evaporate out a bit. it helps a ton.

Ya it says to roll the throttle open slowly on the pumper series carb. I know if it is rolled fast it will squirt a stream of gas in. It also say don't open it all the way when it is hot or it will flood.

Is yours the pumper series as well? Ya I let it sit for almost a full day and it still fired and died.

I tried just opening the throttle for a bit..I kicked 7-8 times...I will try it again.

I did turn the enircher on and it fired up longer and it was running really fat. It was gurgling and puffing out lots of smoke.

It also say don't open it all the way when it is hot or it will flood.

I'm not sure what it means by that because the carb is designed to be tuneable with changes in elevation. When I first put my carb on I tuned it for Sea Level and then the next time I was up in the mountains I leaned it out a bit in the middle of the ride.

What's your idle adjustment like? It has to be screwed in pretty far to be correct otherwise the slide will completely close off the intake. Turn it in a 1/4 turn and try to start it. Repeat that a few times and see if that helps.

My Edelbrock doesn't have the enrichment lever so I have to start it by giving it 3 swift twists, kick once and then play with the throttle for a few seconds before it will idle smoothly. Engines naturally need extra fuel at start up which is why most bikes have a choke to limit air and increase the F/A ratio. The pumper does the same thing, just backwards. It adds fuel to increase the F/A ratio. Then I let it idle for a minute or two to warm up.

Another thought: Is this an XR350 Quicksilver? Do you know what needle you have in the carb? The carbs usually ship with a rich needle that is designed for a lightly modded (Air filter and pipe) XR400. If you are trying it on a XR350 it may just be really rich.

Sorry for the rambling response. I need to hit the sack! 👍

Ya it says to roll the throttle open slowly on the pumper series carb. I know if it is rolled fast it will squirt a stream of gas in. It also say don't open it all the way when it is hot or it will flood.

Is yours the pumper series as well? Ya I let it sit for almost a full day and it still fired and died.

I tried just opening the throttle for a bit..I kicked 7-8 times...I will try it again.

I did turn the enircher on and it fired up longer and it was running really fat. It was gurgling and puffing out lots of smoke.

oh you do have the enricher? well that is a straight shot of fuel into the engine, kind of like having the choke on. I would try turning up the idle a bit and then richening up the needle a little bit. You should be able to click it to the left to find full lean. Start at like 12 clicks clockwise and see where you are at.

I'm not sure what it means by that because the carb is designed to be tuneable with changes in elevation. When I first put my carb on I tuned it for Sea Level and then the next time I was up in the mountains I leaned it out a bit in the middle of the ride.

What's your idle adjustment like? It has to be screwed in pretty far to be correct otherwise the slide will completely close off the intake. Turn it in a 1/4 turn and try to start it. Repeat that a few times and see if that helps.

My Edelbrock doesn't have the enrichment lever so I have to start it by giving it 3 swift twists, kick once and then play with the throttle for a few seconds before it will idle smoothly. Engines naturally need extra fuel at start up which is why most bikes have a choke to limit air and increase the F/A ratio. The pumper does the same thing, just backwards. It adds fuel to increase the F/A ratio. Then I let it idle for a minute or two to warm up.

Another thought: Is this an XR350 Quicksilver? Do you know what needle you have in the carb? The carbs usually ship with a rich needle that is designed for a lightly modded (Air filter and pipe) XR400. If you are trying it on a XR350 it may just be really rich.

Sorry for the rambling response. I need to hit the sack! 👍

The idle was low and sluggish so I did turn that up a bit. I got this carb from a friend that had it on a XR400, so maybe it is too rich. He seemed to think it would be close and I would just have to do some fine tuning. I have ran it before. Then my bike started cutting out. I then put the stock carb back on and then the cutting out persisted. So I slapped in a used CDI and a new coil and the cutting out stopped. So it seemed like the carb was doing ok when I had it on last time...but I really screwed with the tuning because I thought it was the carb that was making it cut out...when it was really an electrical problem. Thanks Red, hope ya got some sleep!

PS - When I was trying to tune it...it did pop and backfire, which would mean it was too lean right? However I don't know where it is now....because I have gone back and forth between lean and rich to try to get it started.

oh you do have the enricher? well that is a straight shot of fuel into the engine, kind of like having the choke on. I would try turning up the idle a bit and then richening up the needle a little bit. You should be able to click it to the left to find full lean. Start at like 12 clicks clockwise and see where you are at.

Thanks for your help Alex. Yes I do have the enricher on it. So you are saying go to full lean first then go 12 clicks clockwise to richen it?

....and what do you consider a click? I don't feel a click. Is a click 1/4 of a turn?

Edited by mountain-powder-slut

The idle was low and sluggish so I did turn that up a bit. I got this carb from a friend that had it on a XR400, so maybe it is too rich. He seemed to think it would be close and I would just have to do some fine tuning. I have ran it before. Then my bike started cutting out. I then put the stock carb back on and then the cutting out persisted. So I slapped in a used CDI and a new coil and the cutting out stopped. So it seemed like the carb was doing ok when I had it on last time...but I really screwed with the tuning because I thought it was the carb that was making it cut out...when it was really an electrical problem. Thanks Red, hope ya got some sleep!

PS - When I was trying to tune it...it did pop and backfire, which would mean it was too lean right? However I don't know where it is now....because I have gone back and forth between lean and rich to try to get it started.

Thanks for your help Alex. Yes I do have the enricher on it. So you are saying go to full lean first then go 12 clicks clockwise to richen it?

Yes that is what i mean. This might help you.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/off-road_carbs/Off-Road_install.pdf

check your accelerator pump needle adjustment too. 1.5 turns out is about right on my bike.

Good luck!

Yes that is what i mean. This might help you.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/misc/tech_center/install/off-road_carbs/Off-Road_install.pdf

check your accelerator pump needle adjustment too. 1.5 turns out is about right on my bike.

Good luck!

Yes this is the tuning guide I was referring to...thanks. I have this copy in my garage with grease all over it...haha.