Sign in to follow this  

Service Schedule

Starting to think about bringing the bike out of hibernation ('09 450 EXC). So I pull out the manual to take a look at what I should be doing for spring maintenance (it was fully winterized when I put it away in the fall).

Here's what the manual says:

- Carry out a complete fork service

- Grease the steering head bearing

- Treat electric contacts

- Change clutch fluid

- Change brake fluid

- Clean spark arrestor

My bike has 70 hrs on it. How concerned should I be about a full fork service and changing clutch and brake fluid?

While we're on the topic, the 90 hour service has me a bit worried considering it's right around the corner:

- Change the piston

- Change the camshaft bearing

- Change the conrod bearing

- Change the crankshaft main bearing

Is this for real???

Starting to think about bringing the bike out of hibernation ('09 450 EXC). So I pull out the manual to take a look at what I should be doing for spring maintenance (it was fully winterized when I put it away in the fall).

Here's what the manual says:

- Carry out a complete fork service

- Grease the steering head bearing

- Treat electric contacts

- Change clutch fluid

- Change brake fluid

- Clean spark arrestor

My bike has 70 hrs on it. How concerned should I be about a full fork service and changing clutch and brake fluid?

While we're on the topic, the 90 hour service has me a bit worried considering it's right around the corner:

- Change the piston

- Change the camshaft bearing

- Change the conrod bearing

- Change the crankshaft main bearing

Is this for real???

I would say it depends on the kind of riding you do.

What about routine maintenance?

How often do you change oil and oil filter?

Do you clean the airfilter after every ride?

You should service the fork and shock with new oil if it has not been done since the bike was new.

Grease the steering head bearing.

Clutch and brakes can wait, but it should be done at least every other year.

As for the 90 hrs service, it all depends on how you ride.

If you are wide open all the time, you need to replace stuff at 90 hrs...

If you are a more casual rider and are anal about oil servicing, you can get more hours out of your engine.

👍

i dont do the internal engine stuff untill compression drops or it starts to clatter.

if the crank seizes or the piston seizes or breaks you will need to replace the same stuff. the chances of it hurting other stuff is low so ride it till it blows and then do the piston and crank bearings and rod. hey use that opportunityto put in a big bore kit 👍

if you have serviced the forks after break in then i only do it based on use. the initial break in of the suspension sometimes leaves some particulates and shavings that are dangerous to the suspension, so it is important to do a service in the first 20-30 ish hours then i let it go alot longer.

i do the greasing and oil change and filter services alot myself. i think those things are cheap insurance.

Brake fluid and clutch fluid really should be done once a year if you wash your bike a lot or ride in really wet conditions. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, thats it's job. Changing it often keeps your brakes working in good order, keeps them from getting weird after that last long downhill you just did.

oh yeah...duh...brake and clutch fluids are also cheap insurance...thanx 4strkridertt for reminding me im stupid..hahahaha

Thanks guys, exactly the info I was looking for.

I've been pretty meticulous with routine maintenance (oil/filter changes, air filter, grease etc).

Sounds like I'll do a fork service and change clutch and brake fluid. Steering head was done at 50 hrs when I added a steering damper.

you will be fine. i think if you priced out the all the parts you mentioned earlyer {piston, rings, bottom end bearings etc} you could probably buy a big bore kit with the crank, so im not gonna worry about my till it blows, then do the kit. i bet it will go hundreds of hours the way most of us ride, if we were mike lafferty or ty davis or david knight maybe 90 hours would be neccessary, but not for me and while i dont know you, i bet you will get a lot of hours out of yours as well

In addition to the steering head bearings I clean and re-grease the swing arm bearings. After a season of riding the waterproof grease I use is black and smelly so it needs to be replaced. Just be careful the needle bearings are loose in there. I clean the entire cage and repack with waterproof grease.

that is yet another cheap easy service. whenever i do anything with loose needle bearings like a swing arm {or loose ball bearing} i lay out a big towel like a bath towel, something fluffy like terrycloth so that when the bearings fallout, if they do, they dont roll away. when they land in the soft towel they cant roll.

just my wierd ideas