Sign in to follow this  

TTR 225 CLUTCH Help before I buy

Hi all,

Im going to look at what looks like a nice clean 2001 ttr225. Apparently the clutch is shot on it, but is there any way for me to check this to make sure it is the clutch before I buy it. The guy says it starts right up and runs good, but what should I do or try and look at to make sure Im not getting a basket case

Thanks

Doug

Well here's the problem, the clutch might just be out of adjustment, there's a little wheel and "bolt" for lack of a better quick descriptive term on the clutch perch.

The clutch perch is the mounting point for the clutch lever and a cable runs to it. The cable runs through this bolt.

This is easy to adjust, so easy, that I occasionally find myself adjusting this to "just perfect" the first time I take one of my bikes out on the street each year. (really, this is a bad idea motorcycles are lethal when not respected.)

Anyway, take that little wheel and loosen it, then turn the bolt all the way in, if the clutch all of a sudden works (or perhaps won't disengage), the clutch is not shot, it was out of adjustment.

The problem with doing this type of check in the owner's presence is he might just say "oh, clutch is fixed! it's $100 more". In that case, you want to walk away.

I highly recommend reading http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html this will tell you every thing you need to know for evaluating a used motorcycle as well as listing every sign that you should run away or run away fast.

Good luck, great bike we have the same year.