Changed from WR426 to 450X

I just got a great deal on a stock '07 - 450X and am now giving my '02 WR426 to my son.

I notice some big positive changes on going with the X:

1. Handling seems much easier in the woods. The bike feels lighter and more nimble than the WR.

2. Love the E-start. The whole compression start on the WR has gotten old.

The thing that I don't like about the X is that it isn't as snappy when you hit the throttle compared to the WR. Is there anything that can be done to make the X pop more without making me take out a second mortgage?

Your son will definately learn how to kick start a dirtbike if he doesn't know how already. I had a buddy with an '02 and it was tough to start and I loved that hot start down by the choke.

Congrats on the new bike. Where do you and your son ride?

Congrats on the X. I like the steel frame WR a lot for the way it feels. The X definitely feels different.

No need to slice up the airbox, just jet it correctly. Some like the JD kit, others, myself included like the Honda NCVS needle (I use 48 and 168 jets at near sea level and idle set at 1200, needle on 3rd groove, leak jet remains stock). No bog and the 100 rpm higher idle is more resistant to stalling when lugging through slow and rough stuff.

I had an '03 WR450 & now have an '06 450X.. I noticed the same thing with the handling, particularly on technical uphills. As for the power- I did all of the jetting and uncorking mods to both bikes and guarantee that you'll be pleased with what you get from the Honda. Get the jetting right and you'll be diggin' it!

Big Richard - we ride in Hood River Oregon. We have miles of both single track and logging roads right out our back door. We even had some footage of some pro riders shot on our property in "Moto - the movie" by Taylor Congdon.

http://www.moto-themovie.com/

I'm still a complete noob, so I have a lot to learn both about riding and maintaining the bikes. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice.