Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone know....

I have a 93 DR 250SE. Does anyone know where to find the turn signal relay (blinker mechanism). I have all turn signals working, but they will not blink?? They just light up and stay on. Any help would be helpful.

Thanks

Does this bike have a battery? If so, check to see that when the bike is off, the voltage is around 12V and when it's running is around 13.5V before chasing blinker problems.

If it's in spec any blinker "relay" (not a relay) with the same number of terminals will work, you may need to tap into your wiring harness though.

If you want plug and play, either find one on ebay or through your dealer or another site that sells parts.

A Blinker relay is set for a set Power Electrical comsumption, (5+5w=10w, 5+21w=26w, 21+21w=42w) otherwise, it wont work.

Said in plain words : It wont "blink" if you put the wrong bulb.

Many bikes do have a 2in1 Bulb, at the front(5+21w), if this were your case : check 1/that both filaments are ok. 2/you havent swapep its connectors.

That done, check using : 21watts bulbs Front/rear.

If they blink too fast : try using a 21w-5w F/r combo.

If they blink ok : you´re done.

If they dont : change the relay.(this is Not your problem : they stay ON, so its not burnt)

Allmost any 12v blinker(even from a car) relay should work , once modified its connectors to match yours.

Edited by chete44
unaccurate

Got it figured out guys. Appreciate the advice!! Learned a lot something I did not know before. The bulbs were the first problem and I fixed that by using 21 Watt bulbs. Then I had blinking occasionally. Then found the blinker relay (tucked neatly under the head lamp housing where only a circus midget could find it) and had to change out a faulty capacitor. Then my son tipped over the bike and broke off both the left front & rear turn signals!! So then I decided to update the bike with nice new LED's. OMG.. After everything was hooked up, I found that even though these lights were sold as "working with all 12 volt systems" they do not!! LED's using way less wattage and thus I thought I could use resistors to cut down the juice! Nice thought, but never got them to work right and believe I tried!! So the lesson learned here is this. 1) Never think that new technology is better than the old tried and true. 2) Keep your kids away from your bikes. 3) Thank goodness for Beer to make this nightmare fade away..

Thanks again for all your advice guys!

My 2 cents.; I know, for sure, you need an Special relay set for Led blinkers.

-However, most electrical problems may be fixed using a multi/purpose-contact/cleaner (sorry, but in every country it has many a different names, too many odd names for just the same old thing!, in mine its : 3in1, if you´re curious.. .).

-When you work with just 12/14v, so low a voltage means that any sligthest : gap, dirt, rust,etc. will cause a bad contact (take special care with attached grounds: you know, their connection to the frame, as its the BusTie for the minus - from the battery).

-When a tin/bronze connector has lost its metallic shine(rust) ; its time to rub it with an oiled cloth till it glares, first watch the electrical tin contact at the bulb: its prone to rust).

When a Bad contact happens, ther is a partial/Total Voltage loss.

If partial : theres an overheating there where it happens, and a discontinued malfunction (fading/irregular ligths etc.)

Hope this heps.