Sign in to follow this  

? on S to SM wheel swap with Brembo SM brake kit

So I've searched and can't seem to find this addressed anywhere. I just scored a set of 17s and a Brembo 4 piston/4 pad radial mount SM brake kit for my S. I bought the wheels with the idea of an easy swap from S to SM trim. The truth is that I probably won't ride dirt more than a couple times per year.

If I swap the 17s/Brembo brake kit back to the dirt set up, I'll also have to change to the stock caliper. Is anyone else out there doing this swap regularly? If so, how much trouble is it? I guess it probably isn't that big a deal, I'd just need to bleed the brake each time I swap the caliper. The alternative would be to sell the Brembo kit and pick up an EBC bracket and rotor so I can keep the stock caliper on for both wheelsets.

I can't wait to get these things on and ride! Pics to follow after I pick up a new chain this weekend and get it all mounted.

there's no need to bleed the brake each time the swap is made if you get another master cyl. and brake line.everything can be left intact and the entire rig quickly bolted on at the fork and handlebar perch.pump up the lever and ride basically.the hydraulic system doesn't have to be opened up unneccessarily if you know what i mean.

Yeah, I haven't found a radial mount bracket to fit the S. QTM sells a lug mount bracket for the S but doesn't offer the $299 cast caliper (for weekend warrior types) to go with it, only the expensive ($460) billet caliper to go with it.

Here's the brake setup I'm putting on. So is this the billet kit?

brembo.jpg

Hmm. Looks like a QTMI part for an RMZ 450.

331-2008 Cast Radial Bracket SUZ RMZ 450 06-07

I'm still fitting everything up.

It was definitely a tight fit. I had to put the caliper on the rotor and then fit the rotor to the wheel due to the lack of clearance between the outside edge of the rotor and the wheel. I think I've seen others have to do the same thing though.

I bled the system and went for a ride and all seems to be fine. Do you see anything wrong with this setup? How different are the RMZ and DRZ fork lugs? Different enough for this to be unsafe?

At the least, it's not a quick swap from dirt to SM, so I may not keep this setup anyway. I think the stock caliper with a 320mm rotor would be sufficient for my riding.

Edited by fadman